help with zine ideas

nzeeman

Well-known
Local time
12:55 PM
hey guys i have one doubt. want to make a small magazine-like zine (so probably every few months one number comes out with 24-30 photos inside).
question is: blurb?
or what i prefer - doing it all by hand... i had idea of doing just prints in local store (9x13 cm) sticking them lightly one on each a5 page, or maube cutting small lines in paper and just fitting photos by corners inside.
i would just stamp title on front page and make some small number of numbered copies... i cant make some super high quality prints but i think its still nicer and more personal than blurb...
but again i am making collage zines for years/decades and maybe im too much of diy person - i like when things look improvised... i would probably put photos on a bit thicker blue paper.
so what do you think?
im sure i can keep cost of zine very low if i make diy - i guess production would be 5-10eur per zine and people would get photos that could be removed and used by themselves (in case you like one and hate others hah)

From my experience, there is not a lot of an audience for most zines. I published one a couple of years back and advertised it on popular sites. From what I have seen and read Quite a few others agree with this opinion. I was barely able to sell any of my 50 print run. As an alternative, Blurb or Shutterfly books are good to make a tiny run or make a good quality book as a personal archive or just practice. Just my 2 cents.

I have started looking into this as well. Mostly for personal use. Probably will DIY it at first and see how it goes. Also it will be great knowledge to have in order to create storybooks for children with my wife. Again mostly personal use.
For selling though unless I am sure I can really bring the cost down, or create sth that is much better than blurb then I wouldn't do it at home.
Creating a zine from which you can actually remove and frame individual pictures is a great idea and a reason not to blurb it, but it will be quite a bit of work.
Keep us updated on the project!

Back