Help!!!!!

naruto

GASitis.. finally cured?
Local time
9:25 AM
Hi all

No, the situation isn’t that bad, but it’s getting there.

My trusty Billingham Hadley Junior has seen better days, and addition of some new members has it crying out in pain (try stuffing a Pentax 67 with 105 into the Hadley Junior).

So, I am in the market for a bag which allows me to hold
-> Pentax 67 kit + a Leica M + few rolls of film + light meter
On other days it might hold two Ms and some film.

Hit me with your recommendations.
PS: Domke F2 is in my radar. But something more savvy (chic looking) would be good :)

Domke F2 is exactly what came to mind. A ThinkTank Retrospective 7 might work. I can get into it a Hasselblad 500 c/m with PME prism and 120mm Makro-Planar, plus two more lenses, film, light meter, compendium shade, filters, rocket blower. It is a more hip hugging bag that the F2.

It is hard to recommend something once camera bag has fashioned update.
I would look at the same brand or anything which is sounds like Italian.

The Domke will soften up with use and hug the body better as it ages. If you want to speed the process, throw it in a clothes dryer on the no-heat fluff cycle and toss in a couple of sneakers or other soft shoes. A couple of cycles of this should help. The Domke is durable, capable, and will last for years even with heavy use. I have been through several of them since I bought the first one when Jim Domke owned the company. That bag is long gone, but its divider, an unpadded canvas one to hold four lenses, still serves me well and doesn't bulk up the bag.

I have been using a Domke bag for many years. Virtually indestructible. The only drawback...it doesn't like heavy rain.

The Domke F2 can be made more water resistant by treating it with Nikwax or the wax that Domke provides for the Waxwear bags. Think Tank Retro bags come with their own rain cover.

I have a Domke F2 and as much as I love this bag, IMO it is not Medium Format friendly. you might find it hard to stuff your P67, Leica and lenses in it.
Although the Leica should be small enough to fit in one of the inserts without or with a compact lens.

It was challenging for me to fit in my Yashica 124G, a Sony A7 series camera and 2-3 lenses in it along other smaller accessories

Domke bags are pretty good. I was a PJ when Jim Domke started marketing the bags and almost everyone at the two newspapers in town used them. While they are not weather resistant, they hold up fairly well until they get soaked. Their biggest problem was how they would wear holes in the backsides where they rubbed against the hip. Several photographers I knew had big worn-through holes in their bags with duct tape covering them. But that was decades ago and the material used today may be greatly improved.

Although expensive, I'm sure Billingham makes something that would fit your needs. They wear like iron, the fabric is waterproof and they take on "character" as they are used and age yet they clean up and look chic when they have to.

Ona bags have a pretty good range of sizes. If looking for something more "chic looking" they are pretty great looking bags and very comparable to the Billingham quality (though people will most likely argue about that).

I have the Ona Brixton in the cognac leather, and it's a beautiful bag, though heavy because of the leather, but they make a canvas version that might be more suitable to your needs. It's a good sized bag and will hold 2 M-bodies w/ lenses as well as film, etc. That said, the Pentax 67 is a beast. I have a Pentax 67, but have not tried to carry it + an m body/lens combination. It would probably be doable, but a tight fit depending on all the extra things you want to have with you.

With that in mind, you might look at the Ona Union Street as it is even bigger than the Brixton, but might be able to hit all the marks you mentioned. Hope this helps

Back