Hexanon 50 f/1.2: will it focus right on Leica?

13Promet

Well-known
Local time
8:00 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a Konica 50 1.2 "limited", mint, boxed, with the paired camera attached, for a great price.
But I'd like to know first whether it will focus correctly paired with my M6 and M2, especially considering how critical focussing is at such aperture.
I'm reading very different opinions about this point, and I'm not really sure about what to do.

Thank you in advance for the precious support
Alessandro

With a lens this fast chances are the RF alignment won't be ideal. The Konica lenses I've used seem fine, but I don't know if those were adjusted by previous owners or not

It's a stellar lens, I had one at one time it was remarkable.

When the Voigtlander 1.1/50mm came out I compared some Hexanon shots with someone who bought the Voigtlander Heliar lens and I felt the Hexanon transitions in OOF areas were smoother than they were on the Heliar.

Have it shimmed if necessary and you'll love it. Build quality also is superb.

Since it looks like I'm able to get it for 700€ together with the camera, both mint and boxed, I think I will give it a try and resell or shim it if the focus is not dead on.

Thank you all for the kind support and very useful information!

700€?! RUN FOR IT!!! (You know that you are actually robbing the seller, right?!)

Just make sure it's 50/f1.2 and not 1:2 ;)

It took some time, but in the end I could have it together with the camera, box, strap and UV filter for 900€.
Everything is in mear-mint condition.
Unfortunately, camera case, lens pouch and hood are missing, but given the price I think I can't complain.
I confirm the lens to be the f/1.2 :)

Looking forward to test it on next weekend!

It took some time, but in the end I could have it together with the camera, box, strap and UV filter for 900€.
Everything is in mear-mint condition.
Unfortunately, camera case, lens pouch and hood are missing, but given the price I think I can't complain.
I confirm the lens to be the f/1.2 :)

Looking forward to test it on next weekend!

HOLY!:p

You did extremely well there, I paid significantly more for mine five years ago and they haven't come down in price at all.

Happy shooting!

Thank you, Johan.
I'm pretty glad of this purchase, indeed.
Also, the body is not bad at all: AP exposure will be fine for when I'm in lazy mode :)

Checked the focussing: about 1,5cm back focus wide open @MFD (90cm).
I guess it's not worth shimming.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Scan-160221-0001_PP.jpg
    Scan-160221-0001_PP.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
Admittedly not a good choice to shoot this picture @f/1.2 but - forgive me - it was my first day with such a fast lens... the temptation was too much to resist :D
Kidding apart, it gives an idea of its OOF character at different distances.
Shot about 2,5-3m far from the dog.

M6, Tmax400 in Ilfosol 3
Scan-160221-0019_PP (Large) by S A, su Flickr

Don't base your assessments of focus correctness (on any rangefinder-coupled lens) on what happens at the physical near-focus stop on the lens. You might find that a lot of lenses look like they are back-focusing there but are really front focusing at every other distance. The culprit is mechanical slack.

Dante

Back