Hexar AF - focusing noise

Matus

Well-known
Local time
2:56 AM
Hello,

I have just put for the first time a battery no my "new" hexer AF. It all seems to work fine, the AF sounds quick. And that is exactly my question - this camera is famous for its very low noise in general, but I can hear the camera focusing more than clearly. It does not sound weird, but it is very obviously audible. Is that OK or should I return the camera?

thank you in advance

Side note: it is the 'original' black version if that matters.

Press "MF" while switching it on. An "L" should appear in the LCD. It's more silent but it's a myth that you can't hear it.

Matus, for the really low noise there is a sequence of pushing the knobs... But honestly the camera is not at all noisy. It's just that your ears are so close to the camera. In the 'low noise' mode you don't really know if you took the shot or not. It's so quiet.

I think I have the pdf manual somewhere (I'm not sure). In case you need it don't hesitate to contact me.

Why Konica decided to force people to enter obscure key sequene to have effect one would like from factory? Is silent mode supposed to be used only when needed, for a price of, maybe, resource? Can someone explain? Hexar isn't hybrid car which SHOULD make noise - at least, in some states to be legit for use on public roads :)

I'm a bit picky, but I think the noisy HAF's may have been the ones that folks bang up against cheap filters when close focusing.

The HAF was never meant to be used with wide fat cheap filters, and photos without filters on this camera look the best, and keep the motor quiet, IMHO.

Matus, for the really low noise there is a sequence of pushing the knobs...

Why Konica decided to force people to enter obscure key sequene to have effect one would like from factory? Is silent mode supposed to be used only when needed, for a price of, maybe, resource? Can someone explain? Hexar isn't hybrid car which SHOULD make noise - at least, in some states to be legit for use on public roads :)

No. Like Tom said, on the black version you simply press MF as you start the camera up. You don't need to remember any complex key commands at all.

Which is just as well for me, I keep forgetting but simply press all the buttons randomly until the "L" shows on the LCD.

I could be wrong but I believe the silent mode AF is slower than the (very fast) regular AF.

Silent mode is achieved by setting the camera in a slow-motion mode: focussing is done slow, film winding is done very slow. This makes the camera more silent. I don't want to have this as normal operation mode. So I just press "MF" when turning it on and I'm in silent mode.

...and photos without filters on this camera look the best...

How can you say this?

Anyways, I have owned 4 Hexar AF cameras and it's true-- some are louder than others. The one I use now is actually pretty silent and nobody can hear the camera operate in silent mode.
As far as filters go, they do nothing different to the quality of the photo than any other camera. However, an ND filter is just about mandatory on this camera (I use ND8 w/ 46-52mm step-up ring), so AMPGUY's statement is just about as misinformed as it gets-- as well as serves as a primary example of why getting your information from the internet is not always such a good idea.

Patent issue caused Konica ceased to provide silent mode out of factory in models after the Hexar Black. The "obscure key sequences" are for these later models to enable their hidden silent modes.

When enabled, simply press MF while turning it on.

-

The copyright infringement is sad, for Konica obviously intended to have it in the Hexar RF. Should the RF come with the AF's soundless film advance (without slowing anything down like the AF on the Hexar) it would be such a hit..

Thanks for all the replies. I tried to turn on the camera with MP pressed and indeed an 'L' pops up on the screen and the camera focuses a bit quieter and tiny bit slower (still plenty fast). However I also noticed, in the silent mode only, that if I select any other aperture than F2 - then the camera produces 2 separate sounds - the first seems to be the focusing and the second the aperture (the second sound has somewhat higher pitch). Is that OK?

Tomorrow the Hexar will get loaded with Velvia 50 (to test the AE and be able to evaluate the exposure more easily).

But I am already quite sure, that if I will keep the camera, than I will change the leatherette as it is quite slippery.

However I also noticed, in the silent mode only, that if I select any other aperture than F2 - then the camera produces 2 separate sounds - the first seems to be the focusing and the second the aperture (the second sound has somewhat higher pitch). Is that OK?
When you change the aperture dial, the camera adjusts the aperture immediately. There is no difference in shutter noise.

If the Hexar's Silent mode shutter sound still bothers you, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe what I would tell you is "switch to an iPhone, because you won't find a quieter film camera."

I find that if I am shooting with my hexar in an area with even the slightest bit of ambient noise, that it is so quiet I often have to check the film counter to confirm that I did indeed take a shot.

I was in the habit of always using silent mode but I've recently started just using the regular mode on my walks and it does feel more responsive.

Love this camera though. What a gem!

But I am already quite sure, that if I will keep the camera, than I will change the leatherette as it is quite slippery.

Yes, keep it.
The leatherette can be purchased from cameraleather.com but make sure you let them know which version of the Hexar AF you have, including whether or not you have a copy with the data-back. I just recently ordered a leatherette from them for mine, and as a result of our conversations, they have ironed out all their Hexar AF cover issues.

I've had 4 too

I've had 4 too

and used them with and without filters. The better photos always came without the use of filters.

Not all lenses behave equally when a flat piece of glass is placed in front of them with a minimal hood.

I carried an ND filter with me, but rarely used it with the HAF. I'd usually just keep a roll of slow film (expired Reala usually) that I set at ISO 50, and a few rolls of Kodachrome 25 when it was still being processed.

Try taking your filter off for a roll and examine the photos. It will give a more natural look. It's like swimming naked :cool:

How can you say this?

Anyways, I have owned 4 Hexar AF cameras and it's true-- some are louder than others. The one I use now is actually pretty silent and nobody can hear the camera operate in silent mode.
As far as filters go, they do nothing different to the quality of the photo than any other camera. However, an ND filter is just about mandatory on this camera (I use ND8 w/ 46-52mm step-up ring), so AMPGUY's statement is just about as misinformed as it gets-- as well as serves as a primary example of why getting your information from the internet is not always such a good idea.

I dunno there might be some truth in the matter. For whatever reason my whole last roll feels somewhat soft in my scans. It was fresh Delta 100 but I was using my ND filter on a lot of the frames. I can't say that I'd noticed any quality degradation in the past rolls with the filter, but maybe something happened is time around. Can't really say.

Yes, focus is fairly audible, louder than advancing the shutter on a Leica M.
In silent mode, the film advances when you release the shutter button.

Back