Hexar AF issue

valdas

Mentor
Local time
3:19 AM
After more than 10 years of faithful service my Hexar AF is now having a strange issue. It does not wind the film. I put in new film and it just sits there without being winded. I press the shutter, it fires correctly at various apertures, speeds, it autofocuses, but no winding. Mid film rewind button also does nothing. I tried everything from removing and changing battery to even doing “sticky shutter” cleaning. No errors are displayed. The display just shows 0 on the counter and does nothing. Any ideas/advise is appreciated.

I had a similar problem with a Konica Hexar RF, different camera but electronics related problem. The usual remedies like cleaning battery terminals, exposed contacts, etc did not work. Camera had to be sent to a repairman who cleaned internal contacts. I live in NJ and handled the repair through a local camera store; very reliable repairman.

I had a similar problem with a Konica Hexar RF, different camera but electronics related problem. The usual remedies like cleaning battery terminals, exposed contacts, etc did not work. Camera had to be sent to a repairman who cleaned internal contacts. I live in NJ and handled the repair through a local camera store; very reliable repairman.
This is not encouraging… I am very very far away from NJ or US in general. My last international repair (Minolta TC1) was in Taiwan and I paid >200$ so it is probably better to sell for spares/repair if it is really electronics.

This is not encouraging… I am very very far away from NJ or US in general. My last international repair (Minolta TC1) was in Taiwan and I paid >200$ so it is probably better to sell for spares/repair if it is really electronics.
Maybe think again. If it's a camera you value because of unique features, even an expensive repair will give you a camera that is as close to new as possible, and one you can trust. Cameras in good condition (some models) are becoming harder to find and much more expensive. I've been in your situation with other cameras, and decided the repair was worth it, for those reasons. I've not regretted those decisions.

I am very happy - I’ve got a correct suggestion on the flickr where I also posted my question. The small pin on the door (which pushed the tiny button just below the film gate when the door is closed) broke off and the camera was “thinking” the door was open. I just put the small piece of wood (cut a piece of match) on that button and taped it (this way I simulated the pin action). The camera works fine! Now I just need to figure out if I need to glue a new real pin on the door (not sure how difficult it is) or I can live with this “wood and tape” solution.

Don't do anything that permanently holds the button in. The camera will likely need to see the button be released to reset the counter. Either by removing the tape temporarily or fitting a new pin to the door.

Would you mind sharing which repairman you sent your RF to for repair? I also live in NJ and has a Hexar AF. It's just a matter of time I'll need similar service.

Sure. Bergen County Camera in Westwood, NJ. Ask for Debra D'Anna, Repair Manger; [email protected]. 201-664-4113 ext 240. Had multiple cameras repaired & CLA'd there; excellent work. I take NJ Transit from Secaucus north to Westwood and walk a few blocks to the store.

Since Essex closed after Sandy, BCC may be sending repairs to Nippon Photo Clinic in Manhattan. Greg Weber is no longer doing repairs, so experience with the Hexar may be getting really scarce. Good luck!

Phil Forrest

Back