• Fixed shutter problem by cleaning myself

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Yes, I would recommend the camera based on my experience

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • No I would not recommend buying one based on my experience

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Mine died the same way also.

Could no longer be repaired even with jumping the circuit as described in the link above.

My Hexar AF has developed the sticky shutter problem. I understand how to fix it, but at my age I have what’s known as essential tremor, i.e., shaky hands, and so cannot do it myself. So, I’m looking for someone with experience who would be willing to do the repair, at whatever price seems agreeable. Any volunteers or referrals to folks who might do it much appreciated!

Fixing the shutter button if necessary is doable. And it's worth having to do it if it happens.

My encomium from nearly 8 years ago, in a thread entitled "Konica Hexar AF: Is this thing real?":

It almost is not real, or at least not believable. And the engineers at Konica who designed it are not quite merely human. Some choose to reject this camera on hearing of its top speed of 1/250s. Fools. It can be used in many flexible ways. If you shoot wide open indoors the LCD shows the shutter speed when you depress the shutter button. If you then walk into bright sun and leave it on f2, the next shutter press shows f11, not a shutter speed. That is code for: "Please excuse me but you have selected f2 on the aperture dial, and you are shooting 400 ISO film, which you have rated at 320, so we must stop down the lens and shoot at 1/250s. Sorry. Hope it's OK with you." If in P mode you have set a minimum shuttter speed and you've selected f11, again the camera's ingenious software selects a wider aperture: "Sorry, but you may have forgotten your minimum selected shutter speed: we have had to open the aperture." I've already alluded to manual ISO selection, overriding the built in auto selection. Then there's the silent mode, where your subject can't hear the shutter or the advance. And neither can you. Then there's the fixed infinity focus selection, and the manual focus fixed distance, useful when getting the IR AF past relfective windows. And I still haven't got onto the offering at A mode.....And it's beautifully made. As a Leica M film user at the time I bought mine, from RFF classifieds, I was ready to enjoy the above benefits at the expense of a flimsier than Leica build standard, but I experienced no such thing.

I have the two sides of the Quick Reference instructions in my iPhone to check the less commonly used button combinations for all this cleverness.

Back