Hexar RF Hotshoe Spring Coming Out

wjlapier

Well-known
Local time
11:25 AM
Is there a way to keep the hotshot spring in? I removed a Thumbs Up and the spring came out. When I put the spring back in and mounted a Vfer and took it off the spring came back out. Looks like it might be brass and is flexible, but why is is not staying in the hotshoe when you remove something? My third Hexar RF and never had this problem, or never noticed it before.

There is a little ledge (down) on the front side (i.e., toward the front of the camera). Make sure it is seating. I don't think this spring is particularly exotic. You could also just use a reasonably strong glue. You might also try reforming the spring "arms" for more tension.

Dante

Thanks Dante. I figured that much. I won't be using a Thumbs up I guess, but I'm wondering about the use of a 25mm lens. I use 28 a lot and have the Zeiss 25/28 finder. looking through it 25 isn't too much wider than 28. So, I'm assuming I could use the whole vfer window for 25mm framing? Anyone do this with a 25mm or 24mm lens?

... You might also try reforming the spring "arms" for more tension.

Dante

I've done this countless times, possibly on over 100 cameras. Usually reforming the fatigued spring "arms" is all that is needed. A very small dot of a thin glue can also help BUT BET VERY VERY CAREFUL that you don't let any of the glue spread to any of the contacts or to any switch pin that might be actuated by the spring arms. Many shoes have a switch to disable the shoe contacts when there is nothing in the shoe.

Back