Hey, where can I get one of ASTERIOID CITY Kiev cameras?

sdotkling

Sent through the ether
Local time
7:56 AM
A screen grab from the trailer for Wes Anderson's new movie, ASTEROID CITY. Some rangefinder-nerd prop master clearly had a good time with this.
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 8.25.43 AM.png

I love the Combat Lens. And the meter is Land Locked.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of Wes Anderson movies -- elaborate conceits and ultimately pointless.

On first glance, thought it was a Typical Ebay auction for a rare special edition Leica.

Somebody should have spent 5 minutes showing him how to hold it.

Yep, first thing I noticed after the name was the finger covering one-half of the rangefinder - assuming that's what kind it is ...

This article from Casual Photophile asks the important questions like, "Will we see this character load up a roll of Tri-X? Does he develop using HC-110? Why is he always wearing his camera so uncomfortably high?"

This man knows things 😁

I remind you all of this:

😉

I picked up a later Kiev 4 with lenses here on RFF- and showed how good one of these could be. Very smooth operation, cannot tell from my many Contax bodies.

This man knows things 😁

I remind you all of this:

😉
That ad from Cambridge Camera is still fresh in my mind after seeing it in Popular Photography magazine in the early 1980s, sad part is these were the last made traditional Kiev RF cameras, like the Kiev 4AM and Kiev 4M . And the story goes that by 1983 many of these were so badly made and hopeless that they were dumped in the garbage at the factory.

I picked up a later Kiev 4 with lenses here on RFF- and showed how good one of these could be. Very smooth operation, cannot tell from my many Contax bodies.
sad part is these were the last made traditional Kiev RF cameras, like the Kiev 4AM and Kiev 4M . And the story goes that by 1983 many of these were so badly made and hopeless that they were dumped in the garbage at the factory.
I've genuinely had far fewer problems with my Kiev 4AM than either the Contax II or IIa that I own. It runs really well; sure, the fit and finish is a bit sloppy, and the rewind crank (what a luxury! An actual rewind crank!) feels cheap as all hell, but at least it doesn't continually jam up and tear through film whenever something's slightly out of alignment.

I've genuinely had far fewer problems with my Kiev 4AM than either the Contax II or IIa that I own. It runs really well; sure, the fit and finish is a bit sloppy, and the rewind crank (what a luxury! An actual rewind crank!) feels cheap as all hell, but at least it doesn't continually jam up and tear through film whenever something's slightly out of alignment.
I own four of them, Two Kiev 4AM and two Kiev 4M. The only problem I have with them is one Kiev 4M has film frame spacing problems. and some will not mount early made Jupiter lenses on their external bayonet mount. Yes, they are not as nicely built as the pre 1973 Kiev 4 and 4a and none compare to early to mid 1950s Kievs in quality and feel, which came closest to the Contax II and Contax III in quality.

Looking forward to seeing "Asteroid City", not for the story, but for the visual's. Being a child of the 50's & 60's and being fascinated by everything "outer space", it looks like a nostalgic trip down Outer Space Lane, via Route 66, all shot on badly exposed/processed Kodak color film. Can't wait, not to mention the host of fun actors Wes Anderson has assembled.

Best,
-Tim

Surely some of the engraving artisans who used to create fake Luftwaffe Leicas are up to the challenge of these, and if listed on eBay as "movie prop replicas" it would be 100% legit business...

Back