hibernation and how to wake up - maybe with a tom story

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
5:07 AM
in light and context of recent events, the powers that be have made me understand that it would be appreciated if i posted more on the forum again.

here we go. how you doin. catch me up, tell a story (maybe a tom story), ask me stuff, let me know if i can help, show me a picture taken this month.

in the meantime i'll be thinking about how to stir up some more trouble, save turkey from impending doom, and also, as usual, here's a few pictures:

Hi Simon, do you have any thoughts about advice for someone like me who would like to be a recovering photographer?

Haven't taken a single click in three years. I feel like what's the use, no one is looking at the right pictures anyway, there is no audience.

Hi Simon, do you have any thoughts about advice for someone like me who would like to be a recovering photographer?

Haven't taken a single click in three years. I feel like what's the use, no one is looking at the right pictures anyway, there is no audience.

F--K the audience. Do it for yourself!

travel, no matter how far, and consume good photography. challenge yourself. or just get a new little piece of gear, sometimes that's all it takes.

every once in a while i browse through my pictures from a couple of years ago. i find quality where i didn't see it before and i realise what i am able or would like to do better now.
i also started to shoot news and reportages for a french agency, that generally keeps me on my toes even when my "private" photography is going a bit slow. and it's a bit of a different kind of challenge to my other documentary and street photography.

@reiki

Shoot because there is something you want to see. Shoot because it's something you want to remember. Shoot because you can press the button. Shoot because it helps you relax. Shoot because it gives you an excuse not to talk to anyone. Shoot because it gives you an excuse to talk to someone.

Shoot for your own reasons. You are the audience. No camera? Use your phone. No phone? Buy a camera. Just shoot.

in light and context of recent events, the powers that be have made me understand that it would be appreciated if i posted more on the forum again....

Good to hear, Simon. I imagine it's not easy to come up with significant content regularly. But looking forward to more activity from you. Follow your interests and instincts and I'm sure it will be rewarding for us and you.

John

Hi Simon,

a couple of days ago I saw the otherland book review on jch. Glad that I got a copy. :)

Hope to see some content again.

Is photography the source of the income? And you are not taking pictures, but work somewhere else? Here is nothing wrong with it. I know professional photographers who quit and work in completely different area. Why it has to be different from any other situations. People are changing professions and these days it is nothing unusual.

Or was it about proclaiming yourself as photographer and buying gear, messaging on forums and even writing some taxes off due to "business"?
Can't take pictures anymore? Guess what, it is same like fishing, skying, sweaters knitting, painting and else. It was nothing but hobby and it is over now. Nothing is wrong with it either.

Photography is absolutely not different from any profession or hobby. It lives in you or it is already not.

I am in a similar situation. Went to France about three years ago and literally have not taken a snap since then, but for different reasons. But I am getting ready to head to Spain for almost a month so I bought a Mono to go with the M9 and have been photographing after work and on weekends to "get back into shooting shape." Hopefully I will never take that long of a hiatus again.

Darlings,
How is it like my granddaughter says? "What Chris said."

Warmest to all,
Mme. O

Great photos, Simon, as always... and best of luck to your country, I hope it will find the right way at the end...

Back