Hip???

Fred Herzog shot 35mm Kodachromes. He often shot from the hip, not wanting the raising of the camera to affect what was in front of him. How he kept the camera level is what beats me.

One only has to look at his photos to know that this was an exception to the rule. He looked through the viewfinder more often than not. He used normal lenses and telephotos too. You do not shoot from the hip with those. Cohen and Moriyama come to mind when shooting from the hip.

There is no one way to photograph right, only interesting photographs. I rarely shoot from the hip even if using an lcd only camera like the Ricoh GR. I am a composition freak, so I like to control that aspect of my photography. I would rather use a 50mm to create the space needed for people to look natural. Of course, I have done it at times. It can work well, but I never do it out of fear, I do it to get that angle of view. If I am truly fearful, I keep walking and get out of the area.

Last edited:
Not opposed on any level to folks shooting from the hip, but I just enjoy, if that’s the word, putting the viewfinder to eye, framing the scene. My first digital camera was the commendable Canon G3, which had a perfunctory optical viewfinder but was largely designed to have its LCD screen serve as the viewfinder, like most digital compacts. I was open to the change, but I ultimately found an uncomfortable disconnect holding the camera out from my face. As it stands now, I love using the Leica SBOOI 50mm accessory viewfinder, although my glasses would tend to disagree.

Fred Herzog shot 35mm Kodachromes. He often shot from the hip, not wanting the raising of the camera to affect what was in front of him. How he kept the camera level is what beats me.

With lots and lots of practice, you'll become reasonably able to level the camera and even compose fairly complex shots.

Owning a TLR, you sought of had to shoot from down there. But i do prefer the Gilden in your face style...more reactions, better expressions etc etc.

Boys world - from the hip​

AVvXsEipktaQi9KZu6ONNCLCwTm4lHY1E2OUlLXb4sgGFL1UWBWuXQ0UWYN4WqqG2iywZHcykpfezCZkyLfnW8K8pQl7QmWOjAKFCt85XTN9BObNlJXWgAOKLzRvez-UoR8ARpRvGhm3F3C8deKd4VyF5rItJQaq5Pqdmuk9IJxPGVbr9v38I9H25-5TEv1z=s2508
Fujifilm X-H1, Fujinon XF 18mm f1.4 lens
Classic Chrome film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - February, 2022​

Shopping hand in hand - from the hip​

AVvXsEg-hACUfyP4Mo3TSxF8LOMmZ7Rm9KtkQU70FhRDLHNS8fccHHXmr4ICdeaeDDX8DBoXzrLLmSj3TUGRquSq8Wbd-vdZsjXZSuT3mrCx2rbL1BOUtWHPG1x8SkCTsWMeXOGE6tECYm-7rNk3O5anRqREZQHbuYJdp6k-H7irdFTRJQYw3lddYECvOkt8=s2508
Fujifilm X-H1, Fujinon XF 18mm f1.4 lens
Classic Chrome film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - February, 2022​

Owning a TLR, you sought of had to shoot from down there. But i do prefer the Gilden in your face style...more reactions, better expressions etc etc.

But you looked through the VF. Shooting from the hip generally means you are not looking through the VF.

Back