Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

It seems photographic digital technology is improving forever, but that is of course an illusion. There are limits, most importantly biological ones - once cameras have surpassed the maximum capacity of the human eye and brain, further development makes no sense. It appears to me that we are already in a phase of diminishing returns.

It seems photographic digital technology is improving forever, but that is of course an illusion. There are limits, most importantly biological ones - once cameras have surpassed the maximum capacity of the human eye and brain, further development makes no sense. It appears to me that we are already in a phase of diminishing returns.

At the point where it seems that improvement is no longer possible, usually something radical changes the whole game.

Look, for example, at cell phone cameras, or at the integration of video, or at cameras that can run apps. Those may not be "better" than ordinary cameras technically, but they change the game; improvement now happens not by bringing cameras closer to the capacity of the human eye, but by making them more ubiquitous and universal and connected and flexible.

that's the point in time when marketing people and engineers collaborate to bring us features we don't need at prices we can't afford in order to avoid having their product lines descend into utter commoditization. In other words, if you can't bring us a flying car that uses water and a fuel cell, maybe you can hold our attention momentarily with cup holders and iPod jacks in our cars.

Making durable goods too darned durable isn't a good business model for shareholders, but it used to suit us consumers just fine.

Perhaps what we used to call "planned obsolescence" is partly our own damned fault for having such short attention spans.

Yes, at least ten years.
Roger confirms twenty years, here:

Ah yes - why listen to what the official spokesman for Leica Camera AG has to say on the matter, when we have RFF's very own Roger?

Maybe Roger can find the actual source for the 20 year guarantee?

And on top of that the only one that produces cameras with the only functionallity real photographers need can not fix the cameras they sold 3 years ago. Thanks God the dirt cheap replacement will be serviceable for 10 years.....

On the good side, a M8 liberated from the lcd, could be a nice tool to separate real photographers from all the rest. Do Leica have a M8 liberation upgrade? :)

On the good side, a M8 liberated from the lcd, could be a nice tool to separate real photographers from all the rest. Do Leica have a M8 liberation upgrade? :)

That would be shrewd. Produce a new body shell with no LCD and a rear dial for things like ISO, a bluetooth/WiFi module for pairing with your telephone, call it M8-TSE (True Scotsman Edition) or M8-P and sell for $1000. I guess some people would buy it.

And in the retrospective they were right - now, 30 years later, CDs are on a steep decline and headed for extinction, while vinyl still has a stable niche.

you're right and wrong....actually there is already a push for the 'retro' niche of CDs again.....in the past few months, for the first time in the past several, there has been an increase in physical CD sales.

everything has its ups and downs....the important thing is not to get wrapped up in trends, and do whatever suits you most.

I bought the first iPod and it still works. I use an iPhone and an iPad. I have some music on these, a few downloaded things and mostly the CDs I imported into iTunes over ten years ago. I still listen to CDs in the car and at home. I hate ear buds. I have a good pair of headphones for the stereo, but nothing but vinyl (haven't tried SACD) beats music in the room from good speakers through a good amp from a CD. Glad to hear they might be on the rise again. I've got no new vinyl and have quarantined all the old vinyl till my children have left home.

Unless you're the military ... or the 'gummint' keeping a wary eye on it's citizens! (for their own safety of course!) :D

I seem to remember one of the capabilities of that one gig camera that's being developed was the ability to crop ... and crop ... and crop! :D

Development will continue in other areas. Are you familiar with the Lytro? You can't mimic that on film (not with a single still image, anyway).

Exactly my point- development will cease and new technology will be implemented, with its own finite development curve. Like film technology has been replaced by digital.

Unless you're the military ... or the 'gummint' keeping a wary eye on it's citizens! (for their own safety of course!) :D

I seem to remember one of the capabilities of that one gig camera that's being developed was the ability to crop ... and crop ... and crop! :D

I really wanted that fancy scanners that Harrison Ford had in Blade Runner ... so cool, and even in a dystopian 21st century I bet one could get it serviced for more than three years .... :D

It looks like Leica didn't stock up on M8 screens and admit the mistake. They apparently fixed the supply problem for the M9 and they will (quietly) sell an M9 to cracked m8 users for ~$3100, based on condition. They're basically giving full used value to M8 owners and selling the M9 at a large discount.

You might be able turn in the cracked M8 and sell the NIB M9 at a profit, if you are very outraged about how Leica is handling it.

-Charlie

Last edited:
It looks like Leica didn't stock up on M8 screens and admit the mistake. They apparently fixed the supply problem for the M9 and they will (quietly) sell an M9 to cracked m8 users for $3100. They're basically giving full used value to M8 owners ($2200) and selling the M9 at a large discount.

And they get to keep the M8 and use it for parts that they can resell at higher prices than what the M8 would be worth, so they might end up making a profit.

Back