Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

Because the M8 upgrade is not turning it into an M8.2. It is the M8 screen with a sapphire cover. But scrapping the upgrade scheme may mean that the M8.2. screen stock is nearing the minimum level needed for future replacements and that they don't want to get into the same situation as the M8 is in now.

OK. Now I'm confused. If the M8 upgrade is merely the M8 screen with a sapphire cover rather than a full M8.2 screen, then why would the M8 upgrade program have any bearing on the stock level of M8.2 screens or visa versa ?

OK. Now I'm confused. If the M8 upgrade is merely the M8 screen with a sapphire cover rather than a full M8.2 screen, then why would the M8 upgrade program have any bearing on the stock level of M8.2 screens or visa versa ?
No I am confused. Please disregard.

Did the title if this forum change?

Did the title if this forum change?

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I titled this thread "Horrifying Prospect for Any Digital M owner" not just the M8 or M8.2. The issue here applies to the M9, M10 or any Leica product. The reason is this issue opens a can of worms on Leica's business model that is disturbing for those of us who have shelled out hard earned money for ANY of their digital M cameras.
I did not save the thread info when first posted. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not remember the title only including the M8 and M8.2.

It is worth remembering that Leica was in fact bankrupt in all but a legal sense when the M8 came out - I am sure there was no option to create huge stocks of spare parts.

We're supposed to feel sorry for Leica's former woes when they tell us it cannot fix a 6 year old camera?

The M8 will probaly hit RD-1 used prices before too long I supect ... it's fast becoming every bit as 'orphaned' as the Epson!

Well then, suppose one located a screen and bought it, then sent it to Leica with the camera to be replaced?

I may be wrong, but a simple Google search reveal thousands of them for sale:

http://l-m.components-source.com/inventorysearch/index.php?part=LCDD-TD025WHEB2

https://www.google.com/#q=toppoly+T...w.r_qf.&fp=d4f5d887a4ef00d6&biw=2553&bih=1137

finally someone with some logic and common sense to counteract the negative vultures.

everyone into electronics I've spoken to says this new "horror" is not of concern....as there will always be compatible screens made as there are with most\all modern electronics. One just has to get a bit creative.

Leica is run today on a "modern business" role in not keeping extra dead inventory. Possible parts required would be ordered, as needed from outside suppliers. Kodak WAS responsible for the sensor.. This will shortly apply to the later models. There have been forum posts about cracked sensors in the M9. So it's not an isolated to the older model..
The problem of electronics is the falling and dropping prices! Even large companies are in real trouble, see Hewlett-Packard.
I first noted DSLR when Kodak sent me a beautiful booklet on their then new DSLR selling for a mere $19,999 plus CA taxes..
Today i can buy a discontinued Nikon DSLR 3100 for about $500. The 3100 has more features and better imaging. The price of evolving electronics.
i was a master watchmaker. Mechanical watches were made to almost last forever..with watchmakers intervention.The electronic watch changed that.
No circuit, no watch. The first casualty of big marque brand was Bulova, the actual first watch on the Moon.The Tuning fork model. Hopefully Leica will no doubt "offer" a reasonable trade-in price.

What I learned from this thread:
People get upset when stuff can't get fixed that they think should get fixed
People get upset when they pay a lot of money for something brand new they think should last a long long long time
People like to compare current business models/"things" (including cameras) to those of "yesteryear"
People love to discuss/argue/insult/be rude to "people" online they have never met nor likely ever will.

Cheers,
Dave

Display driver compatibility ? Who makes the Leica driver? The technology may be a bit old at this time. Interfacing isn't always easy. I've done lots of this work, have you?

" One just has to get a bit creative". Like designing and producing a new interface chip in small batches. Who is going to do the die work for such a small market?

the LCD screen itself is not in supply at Leica----otherwise everything else is replaceable/repairable....how do I know? I asked Leica themselves.

Perhaps you have a reading comprehension problem.

The in-camera driver is for the Toppoly TD025WHEB2 LCD panel.

If one buys a new Toppoly TD025WHEB2 LCD, the exact same panel as the orginal, and replaces the old one, why would you need a new driver?

The existing in-camera driver will work perfectly.

What are you raving about?

Interfacing with the current in-camera driver.

I see you removed your post re pushing the bride...

What kind of a #### are you?

WHO doesn't "understand this stuff"?

1) An LCD panel uses a program known as a "driver" to map its display. The driver is in-camera, NOT on the LCD panel.

2) The LCD panel is damaged.

3) The LCD panel is replaced with another LCD, the EXACT SAME PANEL and Model number.

4) The LCD will work properly, it uses the same driver.

What on earth are you talking about? Why do you keep insisting it will need a new driver?

Who is going to do the board work to install a new display driver, if one can be found, to mate with the current camera electronics? It would likely cost much more than the camera is worth. Do you think Leica is going to release the camera's schematics? They are likely proprietary. You clearly don't understand this stuff - and I'm out of time.

Correct. Exactly what I said.

I said that one could find the exact same replacement LCD panel available for purchase online, and one could buy one.

You then made multiple posts about incompatible drivers.

Did you not comprehend that I was talking about an exact replacement panel?

Perhaps you were so angry about something that you mis-read everything that was posted.

A display driver is not an LCD panel. It is a chip. If the panel is the exact same unit - no problem. Try one and report back.

I think you are both right. The term "driver" is used in two different ways. A driver can be a program, like a printer driver, for instance. The electronic circuit board used to activate the various display components of an LCD panel is also called a driver. One is software, the other hardware.

The driver is a software program. But for LCD panels, it is usually burned onto a small chip and the chip installed on the camera circuit board.

He was insisting that a new driver was needed because the LCD panel was not the same, whereas all the time we were talking about the exact same panel.

I know exactly what I am talking about.

Back