Horseman 6x9 Film Backs - Graflock?

ARCHIVIST

Well-known
Local time
9:48 PM
Does the Horseman 6x9 roll film back fit the Century Graphic 21/4 x 31/4 ? I was under the impression that they did but the seller of the one I am looking at has spooked me by saying he is not sure if it will.

What I want to know is the Horseman back a Graflock type?

The back I'm thinking of getting has the lever wind. I know the old knob wind will not fit.

Any assistance will be very much appreciated.

Regards
Peter

I would think so, as long as the film holder is not for another sized camera like a 4x5.
As far as I know the correct size Horseman 6x7 or 6x9 film holders should fit on international back AND the graflock back.

I own a Graphic '23' back that does fit my Horseman 970, but I'm not sure the film plane is correctly located. So that's a no-go.

Also: In the past I bought a groundglass for a Century Graphic 2X3 and it definitely did not fit the Horseman 970.

The Horseman 970 (Press) looks like this:
DSC_8136%20b.jpg

and you can see the cartridges have a 'stud' in the middle. The gripping lever is on the body.

The Graphic groundglass backs look like this, they have a lever that grips onto a stud that is on the body. They also have a stud on the groundglass holder, I used that to make the body grip the groundglass holder, after I had used a hack-saw to remove the levers from the back.

Only with some serious hacking could I make the Grpahic 2X3 back fit the Horseman 970, and I'm pretty sure it won't work the other way round.

To be honest I only looked up some Ebay adds on Horseman roll film holders, One seller claims they fit on graflock backs. I had not considered that the film plane might be off.

As for the Press Bag, Lee Bishop makes reproductions. I got mine from someone here in the Netherlands who also made some himself.

Only some of the Horseman backs will fit the Graflock.
They are all built around the same basic units, but are available with a variety of pin / lug combinations.

The easiest way is to bring another back or the camera to the shop if you can and compare them.

As I say, it can be tricky as they all lock very similar, but worth the effort as I for one cant fault the quality of my Horseman kits.

Graflok 2x3 and 4x5

Graflok 2x3 and 4x5

There is Graflok 2x3(like Mamiya RB) also called Graphic and Graflok 4x5(International Back)
to make it more complicated: there is a Graflex XL-frame for the Graflex RH-50/67/70mm-4x5-back. it is mounted ontop-has four pin. have both versions.
ON Graflex-site its explained. hope my findings are fully true. One must alwas refresh our knowledge.

So now what is meant with Graflock?

The older Horseman back will not fit at all. They have an extra ridge around the film
opening.

Newer (usually black) Horseman backs will fit but only after modifying the back of the Graflex. There is info on the internet on how to modify the back of the camera.

(FYI, I have Horseman 980's, miniature Crown Graphics, and both newer and older Horseman backs and speak from personal experience.)

Back