How about an R-D2 for Christmas?

steveclem

Well-known
Local time
2:36 AM
Go on Epson, what do you say, full frame, slightly longer baseline,live view/focus peaking, a separate EVF ,same analogue controls and dials? The Nikon Df failed to deliver so it's up to you to do the right thing now.
I'd be there........

Another month, another craving a digital RF thread. Unfortunately, if you want a digital camera with a mechanical rangefinder, you have to pay up or go old. A new Epson would probably be in the $3000-4000 range. Why not go for a used M9 then? You seem fine with an EVF... what's wrong with the options out there now?

We need a rumour thread about a potential full frame Epson ... way too quiet around here! :p

Another month, another craving a digital RF thread. Unfortunately, if you want a digital camera with a mechanical rangefinder, you have to pay up or go old. A new Epson would probably be in the $3000-4000 range. Why not go for a used M9 then? You seem fine with an EVF... what's wrong with the options out there now?

For a start, the differnce between new and used ? :)
My wish list contained an EVF as an optional add-on, as in separate, for longer lenses. If the 'New Epson' would cost $3-4k I'd buy one for sure. Sell a couple of things, use my slr lenses.
The whole point of this desire is a modern,FF R-D1 because, and just because I love the colour that old CCD sensor gives, I think the aesthetics and handling are superb and in an ideal world that is what would be. A modern R-D1, no more,no less.
Sure I can buy a s/h M9 c/w with Leicas ropey service record and peeling sensor issues........
No other camera like it, and I'm not alone here. $4k? Plenty of buyers, I'm convinced of that, imagine all those disaffected M (8,9,240)users out there.

Fair enough steveclem. I can understand that. If Epson made a R-D2, do you really think it would be a CCD at this point? I hadn't thought of that aspect.

I totally agree the RD1 colors are superb natural without being over saturated but something very different. Where is the RD2? Up the mp file to 12 and stay with CCD, even at APSC I won't mind.

A Full-frame R-D2 with Foveon sensor, an optional version that has no preview LCD in the back.

While we're dreaming, might as well go full-hog, right?
:D

Since we're chucking it into the mill, a removable interchangeable Foveon sensor back allowing you to use a Monochrom sensor, or regular Bayer 36.6mp sensors.

How about LED illuminated frame lines that are also LCD overlay like Fuji X-Pro but with an actual rangefinder patch.

Last but not least, takes 1 AAA battery which is rechargable and lasts 900+ shots without charging.

And 10 year guaranteed value increase package where the more you use it and make raving reviews the more it suddenly appreciates in cool factor and money.

For me,
an RD-2 would be Exactly an R-D1 with an actual sensor and battery life, that's all, nothing to change but the sensor !

(non "x") I didn't want the LCD always on the back.

With an actuel 24Mpx FF or APSC sensor, there is actually 3 sensors that can be used with wide lenses near the sensor

Same or better speed writing and buffer, actualised battery life.

Why EPSON ?
any body can do the electronics, body is Cosina.
It could be Sony, or Casio, or Panasonic if they were not already with Leica

so what ??
Come on boys !

Thank goodness variations of this topic come up at regular intervals. Plenty of arguments have been made why it would not happen, but who gives a damn, it's fun to fantasize.... so to indulge two equally far fetched scenarios, if I won 10 millions with the lottery (that would require me buying ticket, so fat chance) I'd invest it in a kickstarter-type project to bring out the R-D2.

Given that it's be mostly my money, I get to call the shots, so first thing would be to offer a .72 VF every thing else could stay pretty much as it was on the first two generations of the R-D1.

If I'm gonna dream about this stuff, I'm going all the way for a Leica M4, M6 or M7 with fully mechanical controls, full frame sensor at least equivalent to the D3.

Either that or a Nikon SP with the same specs.

Realistically, I want an extra $1000 so I can afford new tires (needed) for my car and a low shutter count Nikon D2Hs.

Phil Forrest

Ok, I'll play fantasy... I'll take a digital R4m and a digital M6. The key is too keep the size of those units while stuffing digital stuff inside. The sensor would be FF and should be current with regards to high ISO, dynamic range, etc.

Since we're chucking it into the mill, a removable interchangeable Foveon sensor back allowing you to use a Monochrom sensor, or regular Bayer 36.6mp sensors.

How about LED illuminated frame lines that are also LCD overlay like Fuji X-Pro but with an actual rangefinder patch.

Last but not least, takes 1 AAA battery which is rechargable and lasts 900+ shots without charging.

And 10 year guaranteed value increase package where the more you use it and make raving reviews the more it suddenly appreciates in cool factor and money.

Funny guy, got any other suggestions? I have, make your own troll thread.
Or get a life, adios.

No point in continuing this thread now the attention seekers have taken hold.
Business as usual for RFF then.

Funny guy, got any other suggestions? I have, make your own troll thread.
Or get a life, adios.

No point in continuing this thread now the attention seekers have taken hold.
Business as usual for RFF then.

Hey, I thought it was a good idea! An RD 1 with the monitor switched off could probably give a decent number of shots on a couple of AA.

Reliance on AA was one of my favorite features of the Nikon F4...sure, it took a case pack of them in a go, but they lasted forever, and could be replaced easily in almost any country.

Back