How about making your own bag?

lukitas

second hand noob
Local time
7:16 AM
Dear Sistren and Brethren,

In hopeful expectation of my brand new used Leica M10-P, I stitched together this little thing :

L1000865.jpg L1000870.jpg

Nice and small, but a little too snug. Maybe for someone with thinner fingers.

Now my lovely camera has arrived, I made a larger one, but only slightly :

L1000872.jpg
L1000874.jpg

Made from veg tan leather, lined with foam in soft pigskin. Holds 4 lenses, one on the camera. With double-sided back caps I could squeeze in 2 more.

Not all that difficult to do, just make sure each panel has the same amount of holes for the seam.

So here's my challenge to you guys: who makes the best bag?

Cheers,

Lukas

I've converted several bags but never something from scratch. Looks pretty professional to me. Good job!

Sweet! How did you learn the craft, and what sorts of tools should a beginner have?

Thanks!

Basically, all you need is an awl and two needles. And a knife, of course.
Lay out your pieces, prick holes, saddle stitch. Just cross the needles in each hole.

The next most useful tool is a set of pricking irons. Makes it easy to get even stitching.

And if you trawl the U-tubes and the interwebs, you'll find a plethora of fine and terrible tools, knives, skivers, polishing sticks and folding bones, stitching machines and stamping tools.

Go to a Thrift store and find a 90s genuine leather computer attache case and then go on line and buy an insert. It worked fine for me. I also did it with an Ed Hardy bag.

I want a fairly thin cloth pouch with fold over closure (not zipper or draw string) just big enough to fit the R8 and 50mm lens and not look like a camera; it has to be black, so I could throw it on the floor of my car just under the seat & have it be invisible to passers by. Also it needed to be thin enough I could stick in a pocket when not it use. You would think such a thing would not be a nearly an impossible request. But it is., Anything I could locate was either too bulky, looked like a camera, had a zipper, was too vertical, and on and on. Even the handbag section of my local thrift store yielded no luck. The closest I've gotten is the Domke lens wrap but obviously it's not really a pouch, nor is it very pocketable. Those velvet bags they make for jewelry are the right material, but the wrong implementation.

I could make such a thing if I had a sewing machine...

Very Nice! Yes, there are “other ways”, but when you craft your own gear...you get a really good feeling,

Very good matching retro camera case!

Don't know why but it made feel like I'm back into the first grade with my soviet made school portfel.

Back