How do you explain to people, simply?

Film vs digital: I like the look of film and know how the different film types I prefer will react to different situations.

RF vs SLR: I use both and they have their strengths and weaknesses.

German vs Japanese: My friends who have owned BMW's understand. However, one of them now drives a Honda and wouldn't go back to a BMW and I know what he means, since my Leica has needed more maintenance over the years.
I have a '78 BMW R100RS. How many '78 Hondas are still easily reparable, with all parts available, and are still practical bikes for a 3000 mile jaunt?

Cheers,

R.

Yes, the RS! I rode my 2004 K1200LT all up and down the east coast, did my own maintenance except for tires and never had a problem after years of riding.

I rode it because I loved it.:)

Stupid HD almost killed me twice and I could never ride it more than 400 miles/day....I did not love that motorcycle. The BMW was truly heavenly with 900 mile days a real joy.

Damn, I miss that LT...:bang: Still have my riding gear though.

If they begin to bug you, then tell them "Digital starts with a D and Devil starts with a D. Coincidence? I think not!" Then foam some. If you can't manage foaming, then drool a little.

One could mention enjoying the craft aspects of the film materials and processes. Shortly after I got my M8 I ran into a friend selling his (digital) photos at the Saturday farmers' market. He was in conversation with another guy and told him I was a hold-out still using film and pointed to the Leica as confirmation. I went along with the error and said how I liked the traditional cameras and craft... and eventually we had a good laugh after I showed that the camera was digital after all.

I do love the restraining order idea though!

+1 for the court order. If this does not help think about rolling your eyes, snarling and developing foam around the mouth.

If you think people ask questions about using Leica with film, just see what happens when using a 4x5 camera complete with the focusing cloth.
Generally speaking, people are friendly, and deserve a friendly reply.

Black and white developing is a craft not just an art. Also rangefinder shooting is a secret better kept than the mysteries of Freemasonry. Once you are initiated you become part of a select club. !

I usually just say the first thing that comes into my head.

If they start to debate, I remind them that they are the one who asked for my opinion, and while I'm more than happy to give it, I'm not in the least interested in theirs.

Like I know this guy and everytime he sees me with a camera he keep asking me the same question "Why do you use a film camera"

And at first i went into detail about dynamic contrast , tone etc but it started bugging me..

Now I don't take his questiosn seriously and I just say grain

and he says you can add grain after

and my response

thats fake why not have the real thing

and that closes it

I say something like this..."I like using this camera and this camera uses film..." when asked why I still use film...

Back