Local time
10:11 PM
Hi,

How much do you like grain?
Is it irrelevant to you?
Do you enjoy visible grain?
Do you prefer it as small as possible?
Sharp and crisp? Better dissolved?
Do you have favorite developers depending on the grain they produce?
Favorite films for their grain?
Do you prefer grain for certain scenes?
Do you avoid grain sometimes?

Cheers,

Juan

Generally, in my current mood, I am looking for smoother images. Good tones and sharp images. The look of BW400CN is in my favor. That said, I do really looking at the results I had with APX 100 and 400. The I developed them in Diafine or D76 which both produced excellent consistent results with very appealing grain.

How much do you like grain? I like it...
Is it irrelevant to you? No....

Do you enjoy visible grain? Yes...

Do you prefer it as small as possible? No ... depends on the image

Sharp and crisp? Better dissolved? sharp and crisp, but sometimes course and large depending on the subject...

Do you have favorite developers depending on the grain they produce? Rodinal used to be my favorite...

Favorite films for their grain? No... they are all cool in their own ways.

Do you prefer grain for certain scenes? Yes

Do you avoid grain sometimes? Yes, when I need something very clean and clinical...

I like digital because I can have it all. Sure, it is a compromise, but I get to add grain, have things clinical, convert to B&W, change the size and shape of the grain, etc. Juan, I know this has you cringing. ;)

I love the look of my X1 photos at 3200 converted to B&W... nice "grain" believe it or not.

How much do you like grain? I like it...
Is it irrelevant to you? No....

Do you enjoy visible grain? Yes...

Do you prefer it as small as possible? No ... depends on the image

Sharp and crisp? Better dissolved? sharp and crisp, but sometimes course and large depending on the subject...

Do you have favorite developers depending on the grain they produce? Rodinal used to be my favorite...

Favorite films for their grain? No... they are all cool in their own ways.

Do you prefer grain for certain scenes? Yes

Do you avoid grain sometimes? Yes, when I need something very clean and clinical...

I like digital because I can have it all. Sure, it is a compromise, but I get to add grain, have things clinical, convert to B&W, change the size and shape of the grain, etc. Juan, I know this has you cringing. ;)

I love the look of my X1 photos at 3200 converted to B&W... nice "grain" believe it or not.

Nice posting, rover, Roland...

Well, I love film grain... Sharp and visible... I can also get very good looking grain in photoshop for images that were not shot on film... I really like the results too... I have been using photoshop happily for 15 years without cringing: just with the admiration it deserves.

Cheers,

Juan

Depends. Sometimes I like grain for atmospheric reasons.
Sometimes I loathe it and it annoys me. ;)

I like grain the size of breakfast cereal. I take half-frame Tri-X shots and blow them up to three feet tall. I like the chaos.

I like it that much too... I'm shooting TMZ under direct sun at large apertures lately... Huge grain on OOF areas is something I really enjoy...

Cheers,

Juan

Back