How do you print from your m4/3?

Darshan

Well-known
Local time
6:34 AM
Hi guys,

I have been using m4/3 gear for a few years now but most of the prints I have made during those years are from my film gear (OM1 & 2 and Leica M4) and a few from my iPhone.

The question I have is regarding m4/3's size format. I usually print 4x6 or 5x7 and don't know how to fit m4/3 format on standard sized papers and frames?

I would love to get some feedback on the printing process from m4/3 users here. If you have some said prints hanging on your wall, I will appreciate a snapshot to see how it looks framed.

Thanks in advance,
Darshan

I've not made all that many prints, and the ones I have printed in recent years have been ordered via my Smugmug account through Bay Photo. I have one 30x40 inch print hanging in my office and another 30x40 in someone else's office in addition to a few 16x24 metal prints, all captured with the E-M1.

The framed work was custom-done at Hobby Lobby. Not cheap. The metal prints come from Bay Photo ready to hang.

................... The question I have is regarding m4/3's size format. I usually print 4x6 or 5x7 and don't know how to fit m4/3 format on standard sized papers and frames? ..............

Does not simply cropping the image to what ever aspect ratio you want solve all these problems?

Cropping is a nice and simple way. Unless the photos were critically framed when taking (which they rarely were), I seldom notice the difference before/after cropping(for printing).

Thanks all.

I understand cropping is an option, but it will be a tedious process to crop a lot of photos and my framing, even though not perfect, is pretty tight and I don't leave much useless space. Take a look at my GF1 album on my flickr (can't post a direct link from work unfortunately) and see some of the newer photos, you will know what I mean. Also, if I am going to crop each time I want to print, I don't see a point in shooting m4/3 even though I love the system. A lot of folks have been using m4/3 for a few years now and I thought somebody may have an answer to my question, that's why the OP.

................ I understand cropping is an option, but it will be a tedious process to crop a lot of photos and my framing, even though not perfect, is pretty tight and I don't leave much useless space. ..................

It sounds to me that you have let yourself be locked into one aspect ratio by the camera and then locked into another by paper or output aspect ratio. You just cannot get there from here.

Think of M4/3 as a sensor size not an arbitrary aspect ratio.

Are you really outputting so many photos that cropping would be tedious?

It seems to me that most photographers let the scene itself determine the aspect ratio, capture that with whatever excess is necessary then crop to that ideal when printing or outputting, followed by a mat board with an opening cut to fit that ideal.

Cropping is a PITA, but certainly not limited to Micro Four-Thirds. Making certain sized "traditional" prints, such as 8x10, 11x14, etc, requires way more cropping by me from files captured with a full-frame Leica M262 than files shot with the E-M1.

I am so glad I no longer do any shooting for others where I have to consider in-camera composition vs. the possible ordering of non standard-sized prints, whatever format it is I am using.

Cropping in camera to another aspect ratio is possible with many M4/3 cameras. Software like Lightroom will read the cropping and apply it when you import the files. I'm not a fan of the 4:3 format so that's what I always do when I shoot M4/3--I change the aspect ratio to 3:2 since this fits my way of working much better.

For images you have already shot and don't want to crop, you can always print full frame on your paper size of choice and either use a mat cut to the proper size or just leave the paper border showing as is. Either a mat or a wide border sets off the image nicely when displayed.

Avoid printing borderless. It locks you into a paper size that never fits the image. In my opinion, it also looks amateurish.

Possibly we have a conceptual difference based on the number of images we "output". As my first step is to edit tightly with an objective in mind, I ballpark estimate that I output about one image per 6-8 hour day of photography. A day that results in two images is a red letter day. So after much time editing, I have no problems with spending 10 minutes cropping / post processing and outputting per image.

I recently returned from a two week trip to eastern Cuba, Havana, Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Hanoi. My total output was 12 images, one of which was a family birthday and another that was a family portrait. No one has ever asked to see any more photos.

A local lab used to print on RA4 paper at 4.5x6 inches. Perfect for uncropp 4x3 images.

For many of my images, image framing is important. Ad hoc cropping, after the fact, just to satisfy some standard frame size is less than optimal.

Bob, unlike you, I print a lot; I hate the expense but love holding a print in my hand. Heck if I like the photos, I may print a quarter of a roll each time. I have a stack of prints in a drawer and I rotate them on the frames every few months, some even go in albums. I also give out matted and framed photos to friends and family. Now if you look at my work you may think "what the hell is he printing that for?", however, I really like to see a print even if it is not a quality photo.

When I see a scene, I just want to record it, I can't think of what output I will print it at the time of shooting. JoeV's 2nd sentence is something that I believe in too.

Dogman & jsrockit: thank you, I will try printing on a bigger standard size paper and some white border showing, see how it goes.

Bob, unlike you, I print a lot; ................

My "output" is an 8x10, 10x6.67, or 8x8 print on my standard proofing paper (Epson Premium Presentation Matte). That is what I use for selecting images for an exhibit or for distribution. Anything of importance gets printed larger on true archival high quality paper and framed with a mat. While I have much art hanging all around the house, none are my photos as they are too familiar. I may stick some proofs on the refrigerator door with magnets but that is just so I can live with them for a while to help in a final decision.

Back