How do you use your Ricoh GR for color?

nightfly

Well-known
Local time
9:56 PM
Know there are lots of black and white GR photographers but I'm interested in how people set up their GRs for color.

Do you go with one of the JPG options? Shoot RAW?

Looking to get a more a classic film like look. Been shooting RAW and working on each image individually but wondering if doing something to bake in a more film like look might be a better and less arduous approach.

Honestly there are so many in camera options I've sort of ignored them all and shoot RAW in either manual or aperture priority.

Interested to hear other approaches.

Old post, but it's worth a comment.

My preference is to shoot raw. The Positive Film mode looks great, although it loses a bit of dynamic range, as all in-camera treatments do. After a bit of experimentation, I created a Lightroom preset which emulates the look of GR Positive Film when applied to GR raw files. Having said that, I do like the look of Positive Film in-camera.

I've also created a couple of Lightroom presets which emulate the look of the Sigma DP1 and DP2 when used with GR files. This was achieved by taking images of the same subject, side by side, and working with the GR raws in Lightroom until they matched the processed Sigma files as much as possible. These settings were then saved as presets for later enjoyment. :)

Thanks for digging this thread up, I'm interested in discussing this as well. I've been shooting RAW, too. None of the JPG presets looks that good to me, the positive film mode looks nice at first, but the effect gets old quickly IMHO.
Unfortunately, I haven't been happy with any preset I created in my RAW converter (Darktable), as the sometimes necessary adjustments in exposure and white balance seem to render the whole presets unuseable to me, not to speak of different lighting conditions. I really seem to need to fiddle with each file all over again. Another reason for me to convert most of my files to black and white, where the fiddling is quicker.
As for the OP's goal of classic film like look, I'm not trying to actively achieve that, but it seems to me that good (not too contrasty) lighting and turning off auto white balance go a long way. Adjust the white balance in post with a little bias toward the actual colour of the light, i.e. undercorrect, that brings images close to the feel of slide film for me.
Bottom line for me: Colour only when the subject (or audience... family snaps!) really demands it, and/or when the light is really good.

Here's a variation on the Positive Film preset I created for Lightroom. My preference is to tweak Hue and Saturation in blues, greens and yellows, and also bump Clarity and Vibrance. Recover highlights, deepen black point, and sharpen to 30/0.8.

GR - The Deconstruction of Ancient Architecture by Archiver, on Flickr

This image was created using my emulation of the Sigma DP1:

GR - Fauxveon Test 5 by Archiver, on Flickr

Old post, but it's worth a comment.

My preference is to shoot raw. The Positive Film mode looks great, although it loses a bit of dynamic range, as all in-camera treatments do. After a bit of experimentation, I created a Lightroom preset which emulates the look of GR Positive Film when applied to GR raw files. Having said that, I do like the look of Positive Film in-camera.

I've also created a couple of Lightroom presets which emulate the look of the Sigma DP1 and DP2 when used with GR files. This was achieved by taking images of the same subject, side by side, and working with the GR raws in Lightroom until they matched the processed Sigma files as much as possible. These settings were then saved as presets for later enjoyment. :)

Did you update the GR preset? I know I commented on it being a tad yellow and you said you were working on it. That was some time ago now. I'm still using the preset but use it prior to converting to my own B&W preset. It gives me a kind of dark sepia look which I like.
The sigma preset sound interesting. I like my sigma dp2 but the files can take an age to work through.

Paul

I think I sent you my Sigma DP1 Fauxveon preset, which was a little yellow for your tastes. If you like, I can send my Positive Film emulation, which is much more strong with reds and blues. The DP2 emulation I was working on has a definite green/yellow cast, but I can send that as well. Let me know.

I only shoot raw. But that's my preference with every camera. Processing a raw file takes less time than processing a roll of film, bonus for me. Will add some images from a recent outing with the GR soon, I'm on the ipad here.

I shot jpg with raw as backup, haven't spent time on raw process, jpg is great enough. The preset is awesome, positive, up the saturation and contrast.

r

This image was created using my emulation of the Sigma DP1:

GR - Fauxveon Test 5 by Archiver, on Flickr

Really like this look, good work.

Personally I shoot RAW and JPEG on mine, but the JPEG is just for my sorting though, the photos always come from RAW.

I have the Jpegs set to either B/W or Positive film, just cause I like how they look on the screen, the end results won't look like either.

I shoot raw. Love that camera. My all time favorite digital camera. I have owned digital Leica Ms and still like the GR more.

20946268660_0e92d499fd_b.jpg

26553635333_f43cf32240_b.jpg

28270008032_92528f935d_b.jpg

16978362672_55fc226877_b.jpg

16526132344_3517d10769_b.jpg

The GR has been a great camera for how I shoot. Started with the v2, then moved to the big sensor version as soon as it came out.

My first post in 2017....:D

I bought GRII yesterday from RFF member, waiting the camera arrive

Any setting up recipe or LR preset with Provia 100 looks (or vivid)? Thinking to use this preset to process GRII file.

Happy New Year......

~ron~

Last edited:
I shoot Raw with the GRII. Although mostly it's processed as B&W because of the delicious gray tones, the files can also produce very good color. I use no presets, no special effects, nothing but Lightroom's Adobe Standard color and go from that.

I'd been shooting RAW, but more recently I'm trying the JPG options out. I suppose it's in an effort to shave my post processing time and grow more comfortable with something right out of the camera.

Today: film positive preset with vivid colors. I'm going to try this again tomorrow without vivid colors and see if I might like that more.

having a cotton pickin' good time by Magnus Hedemark, on Flickr

Back