How far can I update OSX and still run LR6.7 without problems?

I have a different attitude towards this. It's just obvious to me from what Adobe is doing with their business that they don't want me as their customer, that's all. They're focused on where they make money ... full time shops that use their software commercially and constantly. That doesn't describe me. Hobbyists and part-time-fine-art-photographers they're not really all that interested in far as I can see.

Similarly with respect to Apple: They stepped away from Aperture and iPhoto in order to focus development efforts on Photos and its ecosystem of functionality across all their OS platforms (macOS, iOS, and now iPadOS). As time goes on, more and more functionality is being put into Photos, both management and editing -wise, and it's becoming a pretty good multi-platform solution integrated across the board on all their systems. Aperture really addressed only a smallish percentage of their audience and was a big development and support cost for ongoing maintenance. Photos' audience is literally the space of all Apple users, at some level or another. So they went the way of developing the broader audience's tools and nixed the pro app ... I suspect mostly because although they now have a lot of money, there simply aren't infinite numbers of the kind of people that can 'do the right thing' with respect to these development projects.

Photos coupled with RAW Power for the higher end processing capabilities seems a pretty good system nowadays. I've taken pains to be sure that MOST of my original image library can be moved from one toolset to another with minimum pain, and my finished image library is just that: finished and can be managed/used by anything that can handle industry standard TIFF and JPEG files with IPTC data embedded in them.

I'll likely experiment with Catalina next week, when I have a little more time. :)

G

27 years ago my company had nothing but Macs in their graphics department. Later, Apple *created* the entire concept of digital asset management for creative professionals. This was long before Adobe's Lightroom ever existed.

Apple owned this industry and then flushed it all down the toilet.

They also made the most advanced and powerful graphics computers at the time. Again, flushed all down the drain in 2013.

Creatives kept Apple alive and solvent during their darkest times.

Apple rewarded that loyalty with a kick and a push out the door.

Apple at one point had 280 BILLION dollars in cash doing nothing but sitting there. Today they have ONLY 200 billion.

Apple could have kept Aperture alive, along with the Mac Pro with 0.0001% of that money.

The ONLY reason Apple let this huge, massive lead disintegrate is the astonishing lack of vision and creativity of the current management team.

Photos- is an absolute joke of a program. An embarrassment to a company that once led with cutting edge software.

The ONLY reason Apple let this huge, massive lead disintegrate is the astonishing lack of vision and...... An embarrassment to a company that once led with cutting edge software.

+1
So much utility has been lost for now gain.

Yesterday I wanted to do a selective screen capture, you know the simple shift+fn+ctr+comd+4, and Mojave now makes me go through a 3 level menu to do the same. I think they should call this and similar features 'complicationism'.

Also Mojave warnings are coming up that various programs will not work on future OSX. I am happy with Office 2008 for example, and paid for it. It works so why upgrade? But why should stuff not continue to work anyway, new OSX can surely build in ways to deal with primitive software.

Like others I'll stay with Mojave as long as I can and maybe there will be open source options in the future. I now donate regularly to Wikipedia and should probably start that for others.

btw. can someone answer to this: my Lightroom license type says (on Adobe site) its for multiple platforms. does this mean I can use same license key for both Windows and Mac versions of the LR 6?

btw. can someone answer to this: my Lightroom license type says (on Adobe site) its for multiple platforms. does this mean I can use same license key for both Windows and Mac versions of the LR 6?

Yes. The perpetual license versions of LR allow two simultaneous, activated copies of the app to be running, whether on macOS, or Windows, or both.

You need to download the correct installer for the OS that you are installing on, of course. :)

G

Yes. The perpetual license versions of LR allow two simultaneous, activated copies of the app to the running, whether on macOS, or Windows, or both.

You need to download the correct installer for the OS that you are installing on, of course. :)

G

ok thanks, this was good news :)

am bumping this thread once more, on a related photo editing issue. seems that Catalina orphaned also Spyder color calibration utility, up until latest version 5 (which has received 64bit update). (link)

am bumping this thread once more, on a related photo editing issue. seems that Catalina orphaned also Spyder color calibration utility, up until latest version 5 (which has received 64bit update). (link)

I'm still using with satisfaction Spyder 4 PRO for which there will be no 64bit software (customer service confirmed this).
I do not like the idea to buy a new Spyder but...

I plan not to upgrade to Catalina soon but I know sometimes I'll have to do it. I m now slowing preparing myself downloading printer, scanner and other necessary 64bit sw.

At my age time is preciuous and even if it is a cost I prefer to have all my tools working properly :)

Back