how far is far?...about as close is close: Portraits on the Street

Great photos in this thread! So let me ask you about the proper etiquette shooting people in the street:

Do you ask them if you can take a photo?
If you shoot homeless people, do you give them some money? (I always do)

Keep the photos coming!

I never ask because if you do you miss the moment but i never shoot homeless

Some more

img569-XL.jpg

img568-2-XL.jpg

002-XL.jpg

SAS vet (Vietnam, Iraq, Congo), Remembrance Day, Sydney 2015.
U27021I1447399910.SEQ.0.jpg

I stopped to talk and ask him for a portrait. IIIc I-61 BW400CN.

This Saturday I decided I'm ready to get back into street photography. This is a quick scan from 35mm Pan F / Nikon FE and 50 f2. It's a nice fast little camera for shooting on the street.

I really dislike scans from film. Darkroom prints are the way to go and then scan. There's just not as much depth and feeling with a film scan IMO.

Attachments

• Six Pack 1.jpg
    Six Pack 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
SAS vet (Vietnam, Iraq, Congo), Remembrance Day, Sydney 2015.
U27021I1447399910.SEQ.0.jpg
1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/27021/U27021I1447399910.SEQ.0.jpg');" border="0">
I stopped to talk and ask him for a portrait. IIIc I-61 BW400CN.

Lynn - I regard this as the consummate street portrait because it immediately engages me as a viewer. I get that he's a returned serviceman straight away and I also get that he is immensely proud, has seen things he wishes he hadn't, and has an important story to tell. You could have taken many pictures of this gentleman but I can't imagine that any others would reveal quite as much to the viewer about an amazing subject. A wonderful portrait.

Lynn - I regard this as the consummate street portrait because it immediately engages me as a viewer. I get that he's a returned serviceman straight away and I also get that he is immensely proud, has seen things he wishes he hadn't, and has an important story to tell. You could have taken many pictures of this gentleman but I can't imagine that any others would reveal quite as much to the viewer about an amazing subject. A wonderful portrait.

Thanks! I chatted with him for a few minutes before making this portrait. He had served in many of the world's hot spots, not just Iraq and Afghanistan but also Congo and other somewhat wild places. A fascinating man. I'm glad I managed to get this portrait. I only wish I could give him a copy - sadly I didn't get his contact details.

Back