How I would have designed the XPAN

Rob-F

Likes Leicas
Local time
10:45 AM
Although I love the XPAN, one thing I don't like is that the standard 45mm lens does not cover quite enough image height. Height is an important aspect of composition that helps create the illusion of depth by including enough foreground. So my first design change would be to make the standard lens about 40mm, or even a little wider. As a matter of fact, the 38mm Biogon of the SWC will cover the 24 x 65mm format with room to spare. And the viewfinder would be resized to match the 38 to 40mm frame.

Next, one of the things I really like to do with the XPAN is mount the transparencies in a 24 x 54mm slide mount, to project in my Hasselblad projector. But that leaves 11mm of film width that I have to crop away--a bit of a shame. So here's what I would do about that. I would do away with the 24 x 36mm setting on the XPAN, and substitute a 24 x 54mm option in addition to the 24 x 65mm one. There would be a finder frame for each aspect ratio.

As it happens, I now shoot my slides for projection in the 500C/M with 40mm Distagon, or the SWC with 38mm Biogon.

How would you change the XPAN?

I'd have a 40/1.4 lens that would cover 24x36mm. It would be a perfect "I'm only bringing one" travel camera.

If they had made the flange distance such that it could take M mount lenses ( with 24x36 restriction ) as well as their own lenses for large image circle 24x 36/48/54/65 etc. they would probably still be producing the camera today.

I'd add an electronic level in the viewfinder. Apart from that, the XPan II is perfect. If only they made a digital version...

If they had made the flange distance such that it could take M mount lenses ( with 24x36 restriction ) as well as their own lenses for large image circle 24x 36/48/54/65 etc. they would probably still be producing the camera today.

Yes I like the idea of a Leica compatible mount. Not sure if a finder could be made with four different frames, but three (36/54/65) seems possible.

And Majid's electronic level would be good for such a wide AOV and aspect ratio.

i think this is one of the truly great unique cameras i have ever used, or even heard about. i put it up there with the Contax AX as an engineering marvel. i wouldnt change a thing, it is one of the only cameras i know i will always have and will marvel at every time i pick it up.

Back