How many cameras do you take on a long trip?

How many cameras do you take on a long trip?

• 1 camera

Votes: 93 14.4%
  • 2 cameras

Votes: 313 48.4%
  • 3 cameras

Votes: 173 26.7%
  • 4 cameras

Votes: 39 6.0%
  • 5 cameras

Votes: 13 2.0%
  • more

Votes: 16 2.5%

• Total voters
jvx said:
95% of what's said on RFF is 'pointless' in a way, just like a lot of the things a person does and says each day are 'pointless', .

If that is your sight on RFF, oh oh, I am surprised. I do not belong to these sort of "persons" you mention, I try to organize my life the other way round and I do not come here because I am bored and have nothing better to do than waste my time with pointless discussions.

What I don't like is to get categorized as hostile, just because I said my negative opinion. Or is that hostile per se here ? I mean I was asked, wasn' t I !? And in this case I found it worth to give an answer, and that's it.

Fitzi

Rayt said:
If one RFF'er learns from my stupidity then this would not be a pointless thread. Last month I went to Beijing with my Panasonic LX-1 and M6TTL/Noctilux. After a two hour ride to some exotic place I started shooting with the digicam. After three or four frames the battery was completely drained. Oops. I should have made sure it was charged. I then took out the Leica and realized the meter didn't work because the battery was also dead. I was shooting print film and my exposure guessimates were good enough.

At least you didn't forget to bring film :)

fitzihardwurshd said:
I do not belong to these sort of "persons" you mention, I try to organize my life the other way round and I do not come here because I am bored and have nothing better to do than waste my time with pointless discussions.
Fitzi

Are you sure?

fitzihardwurshd said:
If that is your sight on RFF, oh oh, I am surprised. I do not belong to these sort of "persons" you mention, I try to organize my life the other way round and I do not come here because I am bored and have nothing better to do than waste my time with pointless discussions.

What I don't like is to get categorized as hostile, just because I said my negative opinion. Or is that hostile per se here ? I mean I was asked, wasn' t I !? And in this case I found it worth to give an answer, and that's it.

Fitzi

Calling the thread "totally pointless" isn't exactly friendly towards the thread starter and those who took their time to write up a lengthy reply, is it? I do not come here because "I have nothing better to do than wasting my time" (thank you very much), so I simply skip the threads that don't interest me and voila! Problem solved. No need to condemn others for what they do.

I am certain Fitzi didn't read the many different opinions posted here otherwise the reply would have been different!

Sorry, but I really wonder what this poll could be good for. :confused:

This is a foto forum, we are allowed to ask strange questions:eek: :)

I mean which worth does the information have for you,to know how many folks take....you know absolutely nothing of all the reasons determining the number of cameras

Interesting enough some folks DID explain why they would take so many cameras on a long trip!!

What does that mean to YOU when I tell you I sometimes got one and sometimes I got four with me ? Isn't this again one of these totally pointless polls ?? :confused:
You are taking this too seriously....this is a foto forum...what could be pointless to YOU could be beneficial to a member who was wondering if they should take their Zeiss Ikon or M4P on a long trip to Russia!
I suggested he takes both and from the poll here it looks like the general posters on this forum agree with me.
Now, My question is....DID YOU VOTE?
Regards,
Kiu
Whewwww...7 posts while I was writing and crafting my reply

Last edited:
The most I ever did was 4. Nowadays my outfit is generally :
Pentacon Six with 180/2.8 Sonnar and 50/4 Flektogon
Kiev-2A with 50/2 Sonnar, 50/1.5 Jupiter-3 and 35/2.8 Jupiter-12 (but now my J-12 is fried) :(

In the past my longer trips would see these go into my bag..
Nikon F3
Nikon FM3a
24/2, 35/1.4, 85/2

Olympus P&S

My last trip I took...
Nikon FM3a
35/1.4

Bessa L
FED2
15/4.5, 35/2.8 (J12), 50/2 (J8)

Next trip (yet unplanned) I'm guessing it will be something like...
Nikon D50
20/2.8, 50/1.8 (maybe + 30/1.4)

FED2
35/2.8 (maybe + 50/3.5)

Third camera undecided ..

NIKON KIU said:
Now, My question is....DID YOU VOTE?
Kiu

No , of course not ! I wrote it already in the above "attack", sometimes one and sometimes four cameras, it depends on and and your poll does not leave room for such sort of distinction. The very first reason for me to keep it as pointless, and not asking what sort of camera and for what purposes makes it even worse.

You said you got your first thread closed where you asked WHICH cameras are taken on a long trip. Maybe this second thread is a kinda workaround to get your answers anyway ? f so, not well done IMO.

About taking content not too serious: I don't think this is the right way to go on for a forum like this. Other my have a very different sight on this, no reason not to say my opinion tho.

This poll made me upset, as some others before, and my question surely was not friendly, a peronal insult wasn't intended tho. If it sounded to you like an offense I excuse myself.

Fitzi

I travel light. One camera, manual. I learned my lesson about automatic cameras in Greece many years ago when my Canon AE1 failed. It was just a dead weight in my backpack (aren't any camera shops on the small islands, or weren't, then). That said, having a second body is not a bad thing, if it is light. For instance, chuck one of the lower priced Voigtlanders in there.

thafred said:
Slightly OT:
My M3 never gets to see the world :( ... I´m just to paranoid with this pristine machine that anything happens to it........
Do you keep a Camera that sees no Use at vacation?
I´m realy thinking of selling her and geting the R3M or a beater M4 instead...On the other hand Im shure I´ll post at the "sellers remorse" thread..
What would you do? should I just slam it against a wall (getting the first marks on) so that I´m not scared any more? :bang:
Well, slamming it against the wall is one solution but likely to create other problems! :) That reminds me... Some years ago I bought a shiny new off-road motorcycle and hesitated to take it into the rough and scratchy countryside to get its first dent or scratch. I asked the dealer humorously if they offered a "pre-scratching" service to eliminate this worry for the customers. Oh, yes, only $100 extra!

Of course I was careful in the early use of the bike but the important thing was to enjoy the experience and at some point the first little damage occurred and I briefly felt bad about it, but considered the machine was being used as intended, and it was becoming "personalized"!

So my thought about your beautiful M3 is to first decide if it is a collector item, and if so then keep it safely in its display cabinet at home. If it is not a collector item, then it is a user item... be careful with it, maybe carry it in a full leather case, but use it with respect for the tasks it was made for. And carry something else when rock-climbing or river-rafting! :)

I take off on my next trip on Sept. 11. Destination Morocco.

Packing 2 RF film cameras(M6 & M7) + 1 Digi RF(RD-1) so they can all share the same lens set:15, 24, 35, 50(x2), 90mm.

I anticipate being on my feet maybe 12 hrs a day for 1 month. Hard work? Nothing good comes out of slacking. In my past, I lugged a HUGE Hasselblad outfit day in, day out, but I was younger and fitter then. However, it makes ANY RF outfit seem light.:)

Cheers,
Erl

Which camera when traveling ?

Which camera when traveling ?

Contax aria +135mm+45 mm+flash
Canon Eos 30 v+ 70-200 f 4
+ a folder Iskra or a TLR Ikoflex:angel:

Hello:

I travel with no camera at all. I go about with a camera as an intentional stance and then it is a single camera with a single lens.

yours
Frank

I voted two, because that's what I took with me to mexico for 7 weeks- 2 D200's, 20, 35, 50, and 105 lenses, plus 4-4gb microdrives, 2- 100 gig portable hard dirves, 4 batteries, plus assorted cables, charggers, and my 15" powerbook. Unfortunately, coming back from shooting turtles nesting, the atv I was hanging off the side of took a dive into the ocean at 40mph, and both of my bodies were submerged. I was fine, and two of my lenses might be salvageable, but next time I go anywhere, it'll be one digital body, my M4, and a little Olympus RC I've got hanging around, just in case. I just wish the M8 would be out before I go to brazil on sept 15...

I find that my L + 21/4 combo is sufficiently versatile for most phototaking on trips. The last trip I took was a roadtrip from Singapore to Krabi, Thailand, and I brought the L + 21/4, the R + 75/2.5 and the M645 + 80/2.8. Turned out that I didn't use the M645 at all, and took most of my shots with the L, and the rest with the R.

I will take the leitz IIIa, the pentax LX and the rolleicord III, maybe also the minilux with me in Vietnam. The poll doesn't specify how many lenses, and I still can't figure out how many takumars I'll take with me. The leica outfit wich will serve most of the time when doing common street shooting and photojournalism. The minilux is light and I don't need any bag when I carry it. Here is a shot from the minilux (it's useful little camera!). I want to take the rolleicord because its reasonably light, and I want to make some shot in medium format since I'm sure Vietnam is gonna be gorgious place to make pictures. The 700g or so of the rollei won't stop me since I will select each camera for a specific shooting intention.

Attachments

• Saint Louis - Ouvriers.jpg
    Saint Louis - Ouvriers.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back