How many of you print you images, and if so how?

How many of you print you images, and if so how?

• No, digital images are meant to be digested digitally

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Yes, but I outsource the printing process

Votes: 23 26.7%
  • Yes, I have a printer at home

Votes: 61 70.9%

• Total voters
I can't seem to get rid of the blue tint with my Ecotank B&W prints. Any tips?
I'm tempted to resurrect my ancient HP 3820. It made great 8x10 matte prints.

Subscribe to this guy. He is the best at digital printing and can be contacted with any problems you have.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949/videos

I guess you mean when printing in color, cause if a color tint occurs when printing B/W it's normally enough to make sure the printer is actually set to grayscale output (sometimes I forget that, and then I do get monochrome images with a color tint). When printing in color I haven't noticed a particular tint that occurs consistently or often, though I occasionally do get an image or two with a color tint (magenta, I think more often then blue). Not sure how to prevent that. The few times it happens and bothers me, I reduce the problem by adjusting the color levels of the file, then reprint.

Magenta cast, 90% of the time is due to allowing the printer to control colour output. Turn off the ability for the printer to control the colour.
When you have photoshop and your printer both on to control colour output, you will get the magenta cast.

Thanks Robert, these look great. Making hand made books is one of the reasons that I want to start printing at home.

I am planing for a photo zine with perfect binding. Do you have any experience with this?

Never tried it. I think it should be good for a zine.
The problem with zines for me is to find an audience!
Blurb made zines are good but when you count taxes and shipping they are quite expensive.

Let us know how it is going with your project.

The problem with zines for me is to find an audience!

That would be for personal use & cataloging. Maybe write some of my thoughts about the pictures so I won't forget why I took them. Also I hate it when showing pictures of places that I have been, it is usually on my phone. But if someone would like one, I could probably make a second :)

The printer should be here in few weeks so hopefully soon after that I can have something to share.

I have been printing my own images since about 1974. Had darkrooms in my parents home, followed by one in my apartment, then a mobile home after I was married. Transferred that one to my in laws basement when my daughter was born. We had our home built in '85 and used a makeshift darkroom until about '97 when I finally finished a full darkroom doing both color & B&W. I made a complete change to digital in '05 and began digital printing came out with the EX (I think that was it). I move on to a an Epson 1200, then a 1400 (I think) and tried a CIS with MIS inks for B&W. Traded up to the 2880 for color and discovered Cone inks. In '06 I moved up to my first Epson 4800 using Cone Color. A couple years later I picked up a used 4800 and converted it to Piezography and when it became available Piezography Pro and tried out different papers. Last summer I got rid of the 4800's and got on a waitlist for a P900 and since Epson had rebates on the P800's I also ordered it with the idea of converting it to use Piezography Pro using the "chipless solution". So as of now, I have the 900 for color & the 800 for B&W.

I have been printing my own images since about 1974. Had darkrooms in my parents home, followed by one in my apartment, then a mobile home after I was married. Transferred that one to my in laws basement when my daughter was born. We had our home built in '85 and used a makeshift darkroom until about '97 when I finally finished a full darkroom doing both color & B&W. I made a complete change to digital in '05 and began digital printing came out with the EX (I think that was it). I move on to a an Epson 1200, then a 1400 (I think) and tried a CIS with MIS inks for B&W. Traded up to the 2880 for color and discovered Cone inks. In '06 I moved up to my first Epson 4800 using Cone Color. A couple years later I picked up a used 4800 and converted it to Piezography and when it became available Piezography Pro and tried out different papers. Last summer I got rid of the 4800's and got on a waitlist for a P900 and since Epson had rebates on the P800's I also ordered it with the idea of converting it to use Piezography Pro using the "chipless solution". So as of now, I have the 900 for color & the 800 for B&W.

Definitely a serious printer! How do you find the P900? I'm planning to upgrade from the P600 to P700 or 900...

I try not to wet print rubbish, if it’s not worth matting and putting onto one of my easels, then possibly being framed for the wall, it’s not worth printing.
Some people think everything they take is a masterpiece, wasting sheets of fancy paper and chemicals.
Quality of sharpness, contrast and tone may look nice but if the subject is flat and boring, it’s a waste of paper.

I started with Epson, then went to HP and now finally I use a Canon Pro 100. Three years ago I had heart surgery and did not print for 6 months, finally turned on the pro 100 and it went thru a couple of cleaning cycles and I hit print and I got a great print out of it the first time. I was surprised I figured I would need to replace the printer. Knocked out 15 prints yesterday from the same printer can't beat it.

I'm mostly in agreement with you here.
I don't print that much as a whole, but when find photo of mine that I think I might like, making a print is kind of "seals the deal" moment for me, because if it is good and decent, then print will let me know better then any monitor will.

I try not to wet print rubbish, if it’s not worth matting and putting onto one of my easels, then possibly being framed for the wall, it’s not worth printing.
Some people think everything they take is a masterpiece, wasting sheets of fancy paper and chemicals.
Quality of sharpness, contrast and tone may look nice but if the subject is flat and boring, it’s a waste of paper.

Interesting question and topic. I've been printing since the mid 60s...bought paper and chemicals and tried to make a print...mess...asked guy at photo shop what i was doing wrong...he asked me what water temp i was using...there began my accumulation of gadgets and goodies formerly called a darkroom.

I was pretty early to the digital game and started with a canon model i no longer remember but quickly switched to Epson as they were the clear leaders...1100 series were my first...one day I looked at my 8 foot darkroom sink and saw that it was full of printers and tore it all out and gave the laundry room back to my wife and added a studio/office for my printers.

One of the earlier posters said the image doesn't exist till it hangs on the wall... I can't put many more on the walls, but I do think the image really isn't real if it isn't on a print. There were many comments about not using the printer enough...bah-humbug. You need to get involved in a print exchange or some other venue/charity/project that needs PRINTS. You won't regret it.

Here is a print exchange group that shares prints on a quarterly (because of the pandemic lockdown - it used to be monthly and will be again soon).. check it out: https://groups.io/g/print-exchanges

full disclosure -- i started this group about 20 years ago, but for quite some time, i have just been a regular contributor.

cheers,

Last edited:
Definitely a serious printer! How do you find the P900? I'm planning to upgrade from the P600 to P700 or 900...

I'm impressed with the P900. Given that the head technology (reportedly it is less prone to clogging) is greatly improved over the era's of the 4800's that I previously used along with new improved inks I give very high mark's to Epson. It also has a relatively smaller footprint than the 4800's and quite a bit lighter. If you look at the Red River's web site they've done an ink cost evaluation and rate the 900 as more cost effective than the 700. I do most of my printing at 9.5 x 13 or 13 x 19 and while I don't always print at 17 wide, having the option available to do so is nice. I also like that you have the option of photo or matt black by only selecting the correct media. And since there are 2 separate lines for the black ink there is no ink switching! If you're considering the P900, I would recommend getting a 2nd set of inks at the same time since the printer comes with ink but mainly to load the lines.

I wrote a long post and copied it but it would paste, so rather than trying to remember it all, I'll just say that being an Epson user, I'm impressed with and would recommend the P900.

I am still making wet prints from real negatives. I scan the prints however so I can show them on the internet. Scans from prints are more interesting than scans from negatives. I like to put the scans on flickr and edit them endlessly with the options offered.

gelatine silver print (summicron 50mm rigid) leica m3

Erik.

51354517585_d49de6509e_b.jpg

I used to do wet prints in an adapted darkroom in a studio flat in Paris. I am now based in London. I have my old ( still in repacking to get to London) ELP enlarger plus few lenses.
I am thinking to re do my dry prints. I had two Epson P800 printers . I got rid of them as they died ( of ink clotting ) I am again thinking restart dry printing.
Anybody know a set up ( low budget ) printer to do only B&W ink only for doing monochrome Fine art prints only ?
Piezography is the term and the solution here ? ?

I have been actively printing in my darkroom for 30+ years now.
Printed about 15,000 prints in 2020 and 19,000 in 2021.
Yes, sounds crazy. But I’m like that. No ldea what pushes me.

Using two focomat IIc simultaneously.

Attachments

• photo112700.jpg
    photo112700.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
I used to do wet prints in an adapted darkroom in a studio flat in Paris. I am now based in London. I have my old ( still in repacking to get to London) ELP enlarger plus few lenses.
I am thinking to re do my dry prints. I had two Epson P800 printers . I got rid of them as they died ( of ink clotting ) I am again thinking restart dry printing.
Anybody know a set up ( low budget ) printer to do only B&W ink only for doing monochrome Fine art prints only ?
Piezography is the term and the solution here ? ?

I'm surprised to hear of clogging with Epson P800 printers. I've had my P600 for about 6 or 7 years now, it's been through periods where I wasn't printing much, and it's never clogged a head at all. I suppose environment has a bit to do with it ... our environment here tends to be mostly dry-ish and moderate temperature range.

Piezography is a good system (see their website for printers supported, etc), but I haven't seen the need since the introduction of the Epson 2400 and then P600 with their "advanced B&W" settings. One thing in recent years is that the WiFi version of the Epson print driver doesn't support 2/3 of the functionality of the USB connection version ... I hope this isn't pointing the way they're going because I'll just pull out QuadToneRIP and work my way around the Epson print driver otherwise.

You can probably pick up any of the Piezography supported compatible printers at a good price if you're willing to hunt around on the used market.

Yes, I do try to print my work regularly. Whether the original capture is film or digital, it all funnels through Lightroom Classic at present to the Epson P600 printer.

G

I bought a P800 a few years ago, not so much for the print size capability but because it's supposed to be relatively cost-effective to run.

However, since retiring I get freaked out watching those $60 cartridges empty. I'm now exploring refillable cartridge options.

When I do print, I find Epson's ABW and Lightroom's print module an amazing combo. Every bit as good as I was able to produce in the darkroom.

John

I bought a P800 a few years ago, not so much for the print size capability but because it's supposed to be relatively cost-effective to run.
However, since retiring I get freaked out watching those $60 cartridges empty. I'm now exploring refillable cartridge options.
When I do print, I find Epson's ABW and Lightroom's print module an amazing combo. Every bit as good as I was able to produce in the darkroom.
John

Several friends of mine have played with refillable cartridges. A couple have destroyed the print heads in their printers along the way. Be careful ... it might be a false economy.

G

Back