how much dev. with 2 rolls on 1 spool

Chad

Established
Local time
6:38 PM
I've started developing two rolls of 120 on the same spool at the same time. I'm confused as to what adjustments I need to make to correctly develop.

500ml with twice the developer concentration?

1000ml with the "standard" dillution?

or

Develop the two rolls as if they were one (500ml + "standard" dillution)

thanks

Chad

How did you manage to get that second roll onto the reel?

Anyways,
I think that you should just use 500mL with the standard dillution, as if the roll was a single roll of film (because, in essence, you are developing one roll of 220 film, which doesn't require any variation from one roll of 120).

use the same 500 or 600ml you use for one, and develop normally
it should be ok.
I have done it with 2 35mm in one spiral

nikon_sam said:
I don't adjust for the second roll...it would be like developing a roll of 220...

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Chad

Last edited:
Used to do this all the time as a photojournalist, just make sure they are "back to back" and that they don't slip on the reel. I used to tape the two rolls together on one end.

Standard time is OK unless you are using a really dilute developer.

I've looked at your question again, and now wonder if you are putting two rolls on one reel in a two-reel tank?

If this is the case, be careful with agitation. If the reel is sliding from one end of the tank to the other, it can cause a "nozzle" effect, which might result in more density on the film edges.

You load the first roll then get it to (may I use the word "Slip-in"??) slip-in so that it (the first roll) is as far in to the reel as possible then you load the second roll on... OR
You can load the first roll then using the little piece of tape on the end...tape the second roll to the first and then proceed to loading...
Either way works...chemical wise it would be the same as a roll of 220...

Larry H-L said:
I've looked at your question again, and now wonder if you are putting two rolls on one reel in a two-reel tank?

If this is the case, be careful with agitation. If the reel is sliding from one end of the tank to the other, it can cause a "nozzle" effect, which might result in more density on the film edges.

Actually I often use one reel in a three reel (of 120) tank. The potential to do more is nice.

Thanks for the tape idea. I had been crossing my fingers, hoping that the two rolls wouldn't migrate.

Chad

Back