How Much do use your Smartphone for photography?

No qualms about ergonomics, I was a late joiner to smartphones compared to my cohort (late millenial) and actually I see the camera factor that a lot of members mention as much more of an obstruction vs. the phone factor. Nowadays phones are so ubiquitous that they are so unnoticeable that it is an advantage for street and candid, also grab shots of family and friends.

FWIW, Pixel 2 used a Sony IMX362 sensor. After that, they switched to the Sony IMX363 sensor for a few generations of Pixel phones, including my current Pixel 6a. Not sure if there's a functional difference, but either way, Google ekes out good performance from that 1/2.55" 12.2 MP sensor.
I have a Pixel 6, Samsung GN1 sensor with a 1/1,31" which is a tad larger than many of the 2000s pro-sumer P&S cameras. These also shoot "RAW" which I actually used much, other than as a curiosity to see less processed results. A 1" compact such a RX100 still holds an edge on resolution and raw quality on most scenes, but the gap is not as wide as one would think depend on the situation.
New generation sensors appear to come with interesting improvements and even AI. Sometimes there is a bunch over processing but in general it is done very well and appealing to the eye.

I also see examples how the world who are not photographers respond. I have a 10x12.5 print of a capture by an early m4/3 image converted to B&W included in a exhibit series shot on 35mm B&W film. Nobody has noticed the difference. Also, an early cellphone capture printed in an exhibit series where everything else was shot digital color. They comment about the subject matter, but not the image quality.
In my case it's family commenting on some prints (from film) about why they are just Black & White!

Back