How much does painted art inspire you . . . .

Lately, I'm into light and lighting, with Baroque painting as my inspiration. Favorite artists include Dutch Masters (Rembrandt, Vermeer), Velazquez and Caravaggio. I particularly like the direct light and ensemble subjects like Caravaggio's The Cardsharps:

The_Cardsharps.jpg

Even in snapshot situations (with fill flash), I try to capture those notions:

jamie1.jpg

I'm inspired by, among others:
  • the American realists Andrew Wyeth and Edward Hopper
  • the Dane Vilhelm Hammershøi
  • James Abbott McNeill Whistler - his "Nocturnes"
  • the surrealists - especially René Magritte and Giorgio de Chirico
  • "Golden Age" Northern European still life painters - for example, Anne Vallayer-Coster, Floris Claesz van Dyck and not forgetting Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin - one of the greatest painters that ever lived, in my opinion.
And, moving to the present:
  • Gerhard Richter (because he blurs the distinction between photography and painting)

Most definitely all of the above, and then some.
That is the only way.
There is no photography as an art form without basis and inspiration in mother art forms.That is also good literature, and music as well.

Seems to me that Degas was experimenting with photographic snapshot composition in his ballet paintings, what with his off-center compositions that included a lot of empty area on one side.

Pardon the "copyright" sign, this is from a web posting of mine.

I definitely wanted a painted look to this photo ( taken at Walden Pond), despite that the original is pretty boring.

I even spliced in my cat, Lexie (who has never left the house), on the opposite shore. :D

web510.jpg

Back