How rare is an original Canon 40mm "SCREW LENSCAP -CHROME"

JB-Dancer

Established
Local time
1:08 AM
I have just purchased an original Canon 40mm "SCREW" chrome lenscap and believe it to be a rare item.
Most of the original Canon lenscaps seem to be "push-fit".
Does anyone on the forum own one of these screw fit 40mm Canon lenscaps?.
I am hoping Peter Kitchingman might know if it is a rare item as it is the first that I have seen over many years.
Many Thanks,

I have just purchased an original Canon 40mm "SCREW" chrome lenscap and believe it to be a rare item.
Most of the original Canon lenscaps seem to be "push-fit".
Does anyone on the forum own one of these screw fit 40mm Canon lenscaps?.
I am hoping Peter Kitchingman might know if it is a rare item as it is the first that I have seen over many years.
Many Thanks,

Hi

These are SUPER RARE and to date I think only came in three sizes .

I own two which the largest size being 57.59mm and the small one measuring 39.84mm.

The small one has the early "C" as in the company name CANON while the larger example has the later "C" with the serif in the letter C.

As I mentioned they are rare and the reason is that it was easier to push-on a lens cap rather the screw it on.

What size is yours?

I did do an article on these in my now defunct web page about these lens caps but cannot find it at the moment.
Cheers Peter

Hello Peter,
The lens cap diameter measures 42mm and fits the Canon lenses with 40mm screw filter threads
(e.g 50mm f1.8 / 50mm F1.5 / 35mm f2 / 100mm f3.5)

Does “Rare” mean valuable? It is a lens cover.

Yes, "rare" does mean valuable, no matter what the item, when a) someone has never heard of it, read about it, or seen it, or otherwise known about it, and b) someone has the item and another person seeks it.

When I bought my Canon 28mm f/2.8 (S-Mount / LTM) it came with the 40 mm screw lens cap (same as pictured in the original post). There didn't seem to be any extra expense due to the lens cap. Can't remember the cost but it was very reasonable... This was something like 12-15 years ago purchased at Map Camera in Tokyo...

Are we talking about a $1000 lens cap, say?

I did hear that the Hermes Edition Leica 35mm Summilux push on metal cap with the thin Leica script is priced somewhere in this region. I was totally gobsmacked, but apparently it was gone in a flash. Never saw the cap sold separately from the set again.

Cheers,

43033512791_5fa0b9e7f8_c.jpg

42mm cap on the Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM (40mm filter thread)
50mm cap on the Canon 135mm f/3.5 LTM (48mm filter thread)
60mm cap on the Canon 85mm f/1.5 LTM (58mm filter thread)

Still missing the 36mm cap.......

And here is a reference for the two typography on the cap that Peter Kitchingman referenced in his blog article.

Early type
41223248110_04699dbfc6_c.jpg

Late type. Note that the letter "a" is now a flat top.
43033512851_d1327f6653_c.jpg

To be honest, I would not use these caps. Quite a hassle and it does not allow me to use the slim filters that I am very fond of.

Cheers,

HI Benny

Bit late in replying like 3 yrs to the date...how’s that?

There were only three screw lens caps produced and all three must have the variation in the CANON "C" serif.

The changeover on the serif happened in 1957 and one can find the model L2 with both variations on the top (OK start looking).

The attached pic is from an official 1957 Salesman Catalogue showing the lenses which the cap fits.

"RARE" is a loose word and I don't like using it much but like saying something is "MINT" but in this case these screw type caps do not appear on the open market very often and as you mentioned the draw back with them once mounted hence the reason why they are uncommon.

I am surprised that I haven't come across more normal push-on lens caps which have had a hole drilled in the side and fishing line attached to that and around the lens to prevent loss.

Always miss-placing Digi lens caps these days!

Value wise $1k seems a bit rich but $50-100 maybe a better price value but hey whatever the seller asks and gets good luck to them.

Hope you don't mind but copied that pic in cases I need it as an example for an article one of many I hope to be writing for our club APCS journal "BACK FOCUS".

Since I am NOT doing any more books on CANON RF lore, I thought I best get CANON RF ACCESSORIES into print somewhere and the journal is as good as a publication as any besides, I get paid for the article...yeeha!!!

I put a lot of info up on the CHS (Canon Historical Society) Facebook page and now delving into the J-II early cameras and the Company name position.

All interesting to CANON nut but beats watching the idiot box except for MotoGP.

Cheers Peter and sorry for the rant.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CAP Litrature screw type_edited-1.jpg
    CAP Litrature screw type_edited-1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1
HI Benny

Bit late in replying like 3 yrs to the date...how’s that?

Haha Peter! Good to hear from you. Better late than never

There were only three screw lens caps produced and all three must have the variation in the CANON "C" serif.

In the image you attached, it seems to be the 34mm, 40mm and 48mm. But we both have an ever larger one for the 58mm threads. Interesting...

Hope you don't mind but copied that pic in cases I need it as an example for an article one of many I hope to be writing for our club APCS journal "BACK FOCUS".

Since I am NOT doing any more books on CANON RF lore, I thought I best get CANON RF ACCESSORIES into print somewhere and the journal is as good as a publication as any besides, I get paid for the article...yeeha!!!

Use any of my photos if you need them. And if you need any item that I have in my paltry collection to be reshot, just let me know. Good to know at least you get paid for that articles and at least your treasure trove of knowledge is documented somewhere.. I'm sadden to know that the first book wasn't quite the success it could/should have been.

I put a lot of info up on the CHS (Canon Historical Society) Facebook page and now delving into the J-II early cameras and the Company name position.

Yeah. I know about the page and do drop by once every few months. Not too active on Facebook these days.

All interesting to CANON nut but beats watching the idiot box except for MotoGP.

It's been so long ago since I watched MotoGP. More than ten years? When West was still involved with Honda Pons. You are a true fan.

Back