How to clean lens on Yashicas?

terence

Local time
3:35 PM
I've been working on a few Yashicas (GSN, GTN and GS). The all have a common issue: the lens are a little dirty (typically with little specks of dust etc). This is true even of the inside lens.

What is the correct way of cleaning the lens? I've been using Q-tips/microfibre cloth and a little Cokin lens cleaner. But I think the result is OK only. Any suggestions?

I remember many years ago there was a type of lens cleaner which you paint on the lens and it will become a film deposited on the lens and you peel this film off and voila the lens is clean...... does it still exist?

For inside the lens, you will have to dismantle the lens to clean. For the outside
of the glass my local camera repair shop uses Denatured alcohol on a cotton
piece of cloth...so thats what I use.

First I hope you are using a blower and brush.

Many people recommend microfiber cloths. I bought one and tried it and wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad, I just didn't see any advantage over lens tissue. In fact, when I use lens tissue, I can just discard it and don't have to think about how to wash it.

My method is to fold a lens tissue many times and then tear it in half. Ruffling the ends together gives me a brush to dislodge anything a blower doesn't get if I have a blower. If not, I gently dislodge what needs to be, and blow with my breath with the camera held above the stream of my breath. I then use another tissue with breath fog to finish cleaning. I have in the past used rubbing alcohol, but that probably isn't something that should be done all the time.

Truthfully, as much as possible, I try to clean a filter, as I really like to keep those on a lens. That isn't possible all the time of course.

I realize not everyone likes to put filters on their lenses. That is their prerogative. I just like Ed Romney's advice to keep the lens clean, rather than to keep cleaning the lens.

Just my way.

Back