HOWTO: Vertical rangefinder calibration (with pics)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31755

Tim

ORBITALBOX said:
70727223.pz3WBdSO.screwed.JPG
Ok, as instructed, I popped open the hotshoe, very easy. Adjusted the RIGHT screw for VERTICAL alignment. Tested and it was perfect.

Now comes the problem:(, when focusing on infinity it is out of alignment again. And there is one screw I belive controls the infinity alignment? Which screw controls that- the screw I drew in blue or green?

My horizontal is off just a tad. Do I align GREEN? or BLUE?

Lastly, thank YOU Jimbobuk and everyone else who pitched in on this BEST RD-1 thread, ever.

Thanks to the very clear explanations, I re-aligned vertically the RF, and now it's a pure joy to use. It was also mandatory to correctly focus my 90 tele-elmarit. I still have some issues with the 135 tele-elmar, but this is normal!

This camera is fantastic!

snowblink said:
My R3A was sent to Japan for 3 months under warranty to fix this.
It came back better, but not really perfect.
No longer under warranty, I heard of people fixing it themselves.
Using this thread I have adjusted it myself in about 10 minutes!

After reading the threads concerning the alignment problems, I tested my R-D1 and found that it was back focusing quite a bit on close subjects. I hadn't noticed this before since I was primarily using it on the street and focused using the hyper focal distance method. Anyway, thanks to the info presented here, I was able to quickly fix a slight vertical mis-alignment and the back focusing problem went away when I got the infinity focus right on.

Thank you all for the fine close up photos and detailed instructions.

I've been reading repeatedly that the R-D 1s model has a different layout of the adjustment screws. I've wondered whether the actual configuration is different, or if it's just a difference in the finish of the screw heads, the sealer, etc.

Anyone yet got any pictures of an R-D 1s "under the hood"? If so, please post!

jlw said:
I've been reading repeatedly that the R-D 1s model has a different layout of the adjustment screws. I've wondered whether the actual configuration is different, or if it's just a difference in the finish of the screw heads, the sealer, etc.

Anyone yet got any pictures of an R-D 1s "under the hood"? If so, please post!

I second that...

As I told before, I tried to align vertically my RD-1s but to no avail. Infinity adjustment works fine: last week I spent another 15 minutes with a _really_ distant and thin target - an antenna - and now all my lenses focus ok (including my old Leicas - collimated now - and the 35/1.2 Nokton). Well, except for an old Jupiter 9 85/2 but I guess that's normal... :)

My RD-1s's vertical alignment screw rotates but does not feel "springy" (unlike the inifinity alignment) nor changes anything.

When I posted this, LCT said that the RD1-s had a different RF mechanism regarding the vertical fix and that he was not able to fix them. tmessenger suggested that somthing had got loose when I tried to adjust.

I think I'll just take my RD-1s to a very good RF technician I know and have him sort it out and convince him to take some photos. With care, maybe I won't even loose warranty.

I'll report back if I had the guts to do it: except for vertical misaligment, my R-D1s is focusing perfect now!:eek:

mc_vancouver said:
This is a fantastic page, which I'm going to save, and many thanks to all of you who have contributed to it. Is there some specific advice on horizontal alignment I'm missing, or is it all about vertical alignment? My R3M is out at infinity a minute amount--I have to turn the lens ever so slightly back to get the r/f to snap into focus at infinity.

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

Cheers.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Just bought my rd-1s last week- it was in perfect working orer til i carelessly banged it off a door, knocking the rangefinder out of calibration. i was dreading the thought of having to send it back- your instructions were a god send. It was so easy to re-calibrate. in a world of disposable electronics i found it empowering to be able to fix such a problem myslef. thanks again

I really like my R-D1s. And after making this adjustment, I love it! Anyone can do it with a little confidence and patience. In my case, the #3 screw needed more than 1 full turn to find the perfect vertical alignment.

Woo. For ages there's been a concern that the RD1S could not be adjusted in the same way as the RD1. The last 2 posts put that to rest (although Rich always said it was so). Thanks for posting, guys.

Hello

I have adjusted the rangefinder vertical and horizontal correctly (thanks RichC & Jim).
With my Nokton classic 40mm 1.4 is almost perfect , but not with my Hexanon 28mm.The Hexanon has a little deviation at infinite yet.
Any idea about it?

Thanks

Hello

I have adjusted the rangefinder vertical and horizontal correctly (thanks RichC & Jim).
With my Nokton classic 40mm 1.4 is almost perfect , but not with my Hexanon 28mm.The Hexanon has a little deviation at infinite yet.
Any idea about it?

Thanks

Hello again,

anybody has one Nokton Classic 1.4 40mm & one M-Hexanon 28mm with your R-d1?

Please...

I really like my R-D1s. And after making this adjustment, I love it! Anyone can do it with a little confidence and patience. In my case, the #3 screw needed more than 1 full turn to find the perfect vertical alignment.

Hi, I dunno if also in here somebody might yet be "on track" with this matter, but I do wonder if in fact it is possible to adjust the R-D1s vertical screw.

I've tried it but just ended up having the patch way above target, and cannot set it back now (dunno why though :().

Cheers

Back