HU : Bronica RF645 on auction site

Missed this one and another one. How do these people always bid at the very last second. I was the winning bidder on another rf645 until a few seconds before it ended. :( I did win a 45mm lens. Now I just need a body!

Snipers - don't you just love 'em! Commiserations - I've missed three 6X6 projectors in the past two weeks like that...

Jabash said:
Missed this one and another one. How do these people always bid at the very last second. I was the winning bidder on another rf645 until a few seconds before it ended. :( I did win a 45mm lens. Now I just need a body!

If you really want to get something, either bid slightly above your true maximum, or just sign up for one of the sniping services available online.

I only drop in cautious last minute bids manually for 'targets of opportunity': Items that appear on the 'Items ending soon' radar on a casual scan. If you really want something, you'll have to plan for it.

Clarence

Jabash said:

I saw a bidding war where the price of a 100mm RF lens jumped from $800 something to $1200 in the last 5 seconds. People have some crazy ways. Snipers are jerks, but that's just good business if you think about it. Even if you don't.

MOST of the time, I've seen professional auctioneers and retailers sniping great sales from individuals. Miserable thing.

You would be best off buying the RF645 kit from KEH, and then sending it off to Tamron of New York to have its brightlines changed to the 100mm. They'd probably do it for free, but who knows. They are very nice to deal with anyway.

Yeah, I looked at KEH after I lost, but I didn't know Tamron would change the finder. Do you have any info on that.

It takes two weeks to do the repair. So let me ask a stupid question, b/c I am going away soon. The viewfinder still works for the 65mm, right, so it is only an issue if I want to use the 100mm lens.

Jabash said:
It takes two weeks to do the repair. So let me ask a stupid question, b/c I am going away soon. The viewfinder still works for the 65mm, right, so it is only an issue if I want to use the 100mm lens.

Yes. The finder has the 65mm lines. You can still use the 100, just assume a little outside the 135 lines.

good news. You'll be glad you bought it. It's a great camera. Get those lines switched over, and you'll be better off - then you can buy a 100mm. Having it CLA'd would be a good idea too.

I manually snipe. I don't think that makes me a jerk. Its just how the system works (that's why buying on RFF is such a please, I have bought and sold here) What should I do, bid early and tip my hand to everyone, leaving someone else plenty of time to mull it over and then outbid me by $5? I am not casually buying on ebay, it is something I am really after then I target it and do my best to win. I actually sell more than buy and I love it when people bid early and often, drives up prices faster, and then hopefully a sniping war breaks out at the end.

RicardoD said:
I manually snipe. I don't think that makes me a jerk. Its just how the system works (that's why buying on RFF is such a please, I have bought and sold here) What should I do, bid early and tip my hand to everyone, leaving someone else plenty of time to mull it over and then outbid me by $5? I am not casually buying on ebay, it is something I am really after then I target it and do my best to win. I actually sell more than buy and I love it when people bid early and often, drives up prices faster, and then hopefully a sniping war breaks out at the end.

sniping by hand is just fine. I guess it is irritating that there are companies that offer sniping services for people (generally profesisonal online auctioneers) that don't have time to snipe their items' auctions. When I'm outbid by someone, it is almost always someone with 500+ transactions - and it's because the item was at a good price and they intend to re-list it at a higher price.

I was just amazed that it was happening for the RF645. I mean there is a small group of people who are interested in buying it. It's not exactly a Sony Playstation or something.

Sniping Myths

Sniping Myths

shutterflower said:
sniping by hand is just fine. I guess it is irritating that there are companies that offer sniping services for people (generally profesisonal online auctioneers) that don't have time to snipe their items' auctions. When I'm outbid by someone, it is almost always someone with 500+ transactions - and it's because the item was at a good price and they intend to re-list it at a higher price.

http://www.moyen.org/snipe/myths.html

Back