Hunting for a Canon P

stupid leica

i don't shoot rf
Local time
11:05 PM
I posted a WTB in the classifieds, but hopefully this will get some attention too.

I am super nostalgic about my favorite underdog film RF, the good ol' P. I want to pick one up to use with a J12 when I get the desire to burn some film every now and then.

Thank you

If you are on Facebook, go to the "Canon Populaire" group. A guy is selling an excellent condition Canon P there for $140.00 USD.

Jim B.

Thank you for that info!
I'm mostly trying to avoid buying from Japan, it's a hassle if there's something wrong with it!

If somebody has a good Canon P they wouldn't mind parting with, I am super nostalgic about my favorite underdog film RF, the good ol' P. I want to pick one up to use with a J12 when I get the desire to burn some film every now and then.

Don't buy a mint one if you are mounting a J12 because you will end up butchering the baffles. Buy a pre-butchered one so you won't feel so bad about that (or using the camera in general).

Dante

Dante thanks for that info.
Yeah from what I've found, it can be super hit or miss if the J12 will interfere with the P's baffles. Some don't, some do, etc.
My J12 is a black one from 77. I've found several people with copies from the late 70's that seem to work just fine on their P's.

Dante thanks for that info.
Yeah from what I've found, it can be super hit or miss if the J12 will interfere with the P's baffles. Some don't, some do, etc.
My J12 is a black one from 77. I've found several people with copies from the late 70's that seem to work just fine on their P's.

My J12 is silver, 1960, and it clears (just!) in my P. So I'm not sure year or color are good indicators.

How about factory? Some show the KMZ logo. Mine (1960) is marked with the LZOS logo (a KMZ subsidiary). Others..??

Don't buy a mint one if you are mounting a J12 because you will end up butchering the baffles. Buy a pre-butchered one so you won't feel so bad about that (or using the camera in general).

Dante

I've seen/owned more J12 fitting Canon P than not fitting. The only one I have not fitting is an Arsenal made one, it has the metal guard ring around rear elements.

Dante

I'd say "buy the best P you can", and pick a J12 that fits. I'd avoid a J12 with the metal ring around the rear element, and otherwise be prepared to for some trial and error. You can resell the J12 if it doesn't fit, and try again with another. J12's aren't terribly expensive, and you're not likely to lose much in the hunt.

Just hold the shutter open on B, look through the back, and be careful of what happens when you screw the lens in.

I've got a sweet J12 that F16sunshine on here sold me recently, and I've got a couple leads on P's thanks to this thread and possibly my WTB ad.
Awaiting pics/info on two of the P's before i make my decision, but there will probably be 2 or 3 more P's on the classifieds soon from owners who are in the mood to sell now haha.

Have 2, best rangefinder ever for me and I've tried a bunch over the years. The first one came from Japan, the focus at infinite is never real clear in the viewfinder but all my films are always right on. Was always a little nervous about that. Found a real keeper last year from KEH, $279.00 but looks almost new. Good luck in your search.

David

Back