I can afford a Leica M film body...

Pfreddee

Well-known
Local time
9:21 AM
...but I cannot afford a Leica lens to go with it.:bang: That leaves a lot of lens in Leica M mount that will fit, and do very well, but I have a problem in buying a Leica body without the Leica lens to complete the kit. I would need only one lens, a 50mm (I know, I know, I’m hopelessly old-fashioned). If I am planning to put a Cosina-Voightlander lens on it, I might as well buy a used body (R2, R3A, R2A, etc.). Less money... How about the offerings from Zeiss? What are some other suggestions that wouldn't be too far-fetched? By that I mean putting an FSU Jupiter 8 in an adaptor and sticking it on said Leica body.

Thank you to all who reply.

With best regards,

Pfreddee

My only 50 is the CV Nokton. I love it. You shouldn't feel like you have a matched set.

Cv nokton 50mm 1.5 is great.
Or a hexanon m 50, terrific feel and quality.
I've used them both, see pictures from links below if you like, both great lenses I think.

Or the Cosina/Voigtlander 50/2.5. There have been a couple of those for sale here for not much money in the last couple of weeks.

The Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2 is a spectacular lens. I prefer it over my ver 4 Summicron 50mm. An M3 (or any M body for that matter) and that planar make a fantastic kit.

...but I cannot afford a Leica lens to go with it.:bang: That leaves a lot of lens in Leica M mount that will fit, and do very well, but I have a problem in buying a Leica body without the Leica lens to complete the kit. I would need only one lens, a 50mm (I know, I know, I’m hopelessly old-fashioned). If I am planning to put a Cosina-Voightlander lens on it, I might as well buy a used body (R2, R3A, R2A, etc.). Less money... How about the offerings from Zeiss? What are some other suggestions that wouldn't be too far-fetched? By that I mean putting an FSU Jupiter 8 in an adaptor and sticking it on said Leica body.

Thank you to all who reply.

With best regards,

Pfreddee

Check out screwmount Elmar f/3.5 collapsible, if it must be a Leica lens. Or a Canon.

Personally, I know it's controversial, but I think Leica bodies are worth paying for, as they feel so nice in the hand. Leica lenses I find less so, I find Voigtlander lenses every bit as nice as Leica. Just my own opinion, I know some people love the Leica glass.

Up to you of course, but don't worry about using non-Leica glass on a Leica body, you can change later if it bothers you.

I think you're doing it backward. Get the Leica lens and a CV body on which to mount it. Te body is just a fancy light-tight box to hold the film. Leica is all about the optics. Then save up for the Leica body. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

I think you're doing it backward. Get the Leica lens and a CV body on which to mount it. Te body is just a fancy light-tight box to hold the film. Leica is all about the optics. Then save up for the Leica body. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

You may well be right, but I would say that most of us get Leica gear because we like it. It's the fancy light-tight box that appeals to me, I find the lenses from Voigtlander every bit as good. Maybe on digital, if you pixel-peep it, they're not, I don't know. On film, I find Voigtlander glass every bit as nice.

You'll always lust for the M body, buy a voigtlander 50 or zeiss, you'll still shoot it when you'll have other glass... The Jupiter isn't bad, it has character and it's in fact a zeiss lens... I shoot a Jupiter3 for my 50. The voigtlander 50 1.5 looks damn nice. I'd keep my money.
The pleasure comes from the camera, not the lens... Any 50 will in fact do the job. Not any M mount camera...

50 Planar, or 50/1.5 Nokton if you need the speed.
50/1.8 LTM Canon if you want to spend even less, and it's a SPETACULAR lens.

Is there a really not good 50mm lens available in M or LTM mount? I like the rendering of my Jupiter-8 lens. It is currently the only lens I own for my Leica which I do not find far-fetched to use together. The M4-P body gives me a better feeling of solidity and reliability than the Zorki 3s with which the lens came originally.

I also do not find anything wrong in using one of the very fine Bessa R2A/R3A's together with a 50 Summicron. Metal shutter, less weight and easier to load than a "real M", 1/2000s...

You may well be right, but I would say that most of us get Leica gear because we like it. It's the fancy light-tight box that appeals to me, I find the lenses from Voigtlander every bit as good. Maybe on digital, if you pixel-peep it, they're not, I don't know. On film, I find Voigtlander glass every bit as nice.
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that all Leica lenses are "better" than, say, Zeiss or Cosina. My CZ Sonnar 50/1.5 (1956) is a much sharper lens and delivers a much longer range of tones for me on my M3, but it just doesn't deliver that Leica thumbprint that my collapsible Summicron does. If I want one of those typical Leica-looking pictures, I mount the 'cron.

personally Im using the ZM 50 Planar as a holdover until finances allow for the purchase of the 50 Lux ASPH.

let me say this, the lens is very good and has amazing apparent sharpness. it is also, for a new M mount lens, moderately priced and nicely built. it's not all things to all men but it's better than 99.5% of what's out there. especially if you like the tame rendering that people traditionally love.

IMO

My vote goes to the Hexanon 50. I cannot understand why this lens seems to be underrated. Build quality and optical performance is at least as good as the Summicron 50 but it is about a third of the price. Stick it on any body you like, but if you have Leica lust it might be as well to get one now, rather than waste time and probably money taking a more circuitous route.

Get an Industar 61 w/adapter and then save up for what you really want. The I-61 is a good enough lens for 85% of what people take pictures of with these cameras.

Back