I can't seem to mount my new j 12 on keiv 4

grizzz

Griz...
Local time
11:25 PM
I don't know what I am doing wrong but the bugger doesn't want to go. I removed the 50 locked at inf. I have the j12 set to inf and line up the red dots. It doesn't want to o down nor turn. Any tricks to this????

My J-12 required some filing to go onto my Nikon S2. The chrome collar that surrounds the Bayonet mount required some sanding down. Then the collar that picks up the internal mount was stuck, and required some lubrication. It now goes on and turns smoothly.

so Look at the:
1) Flanges on the lens: The prongs may need some filing.
2) The collar surrounding the mount: May be too deep
3) Collar for the RF pickup: may be stuck.

Any of these will prevent the lens from mounting.

I've tried the inf button. I guess it needs filing. I'm not sure I am going to bother with that. I'm leaning towards not being a FSU kinda guy. I can't load my zorki and can't get the lens on the Kiev. I'm thinking this stuff will be in the classifieds as soon as i get some pics of them....

I've had the same problem with my J12.. usually after a few colorful words, I'll settle down and work the infinity knob until it clicks on right.. the trick is remembering how easy it is to destroy the rear element on a J12.. that always cools me down quick

for the zorki it just doesn't seem to line up with the sprokets. I seem to have everything in but the film cartridge doesn't want to go in far enought to line up the sprokets. It very well may be that I'm an idiot :bang: but I am getting flustered. I don't have enough time for my hobby as it is and i just feel I am not the type that wants to fiddle with it or worry that it isn't on or in right.

I'll give the inf knob a try tonight. I have been pushing the inf lock without success but have not moved the inf knob. who knows. the damn thing makes great images with the j8 i have for it and was really hoping to get this working. I have decided i am not the guy to take a file to it. I just don't see my fat fingers succeding there :confused:

Hey,

You have probably already found this:

Matt Denton's J-12 site (click link)

Matt's site helped me quite a bit when mounting a J-12 to my Kiev for the first time... I (like you) thought there was no way the silly thing was going to mount... Then, it just screwed on... I haven't dared or wanted to take it off since!

Cheers, and keep trying (carefully!)

Peter

Can I offer another suggestion? When mounting it set the focus collar on the Kiev to 3m and the lens to infinity. I find it helps!

Well I know why it keeps the infinity lock from engaging! It's so the grears do not blow when removing the lens. With the camera mount set to infinity, and the lens set to infinity, the flange of the lens' RF collar do not line up with the internal mount. The collar is pushed into the lens and does not drop in place until the lens is mounted completely. Make sure the collar moved freely, I had to Lube the collar on my Lens. If it is sticking, it will not allow the lens to get up against the external mount. If it goes that far, pull the locking tab back while turning. If it will not turn, it could be that one of the mounts on the lens is bent. That will prevent it from turning. Look them over carefully, and if one is bent inward, use a flat head screw driver to move it back out.

If that does not work, it is time for the file. I have a spare external mount bought as parts for this. It came in handy with my J-12, Tanar, and a J-9.

Mounting a J12 on a Keiv

Mounting a J12 on a Keiv

Brian Sweeney said:
Well I know why it keeps the infinity lock from engaging! It's so the grears do not blow when removing the lens. With the camera mount set to infinity, and the lens set to infinity, the flange of the lens' RF collar do not line up with the internal mount.

Brian's note above is the HINT to the proper way.

To properly mount a J12, or J9, or J11, the lens should be set to infinity and the camera focusing mount should be turned so that the infinity mark is adjacent to the red dot on the body. This gets the lens and body bayonets nicely aligned, and a simple 1/4 turn counterclockwise brings the lens infinity mark, (and red dot) to top center and the lens latch pops into it's slot holding things together.

Try it.

Regards, Paul C.

great news. It mounted. I had to move the focus wheel while mounting to get it to line up properly. thanks for all of the help....Grizzz :p

I'll keep an eye on this topic. My black J-12 (currently in Prague) was mounting correctly on my Kievs, but then after a day where it almost fell on on the ground and I managed to catch it in the air (yes, silly me!) it would still mount but would not lock tight (if I try to turn the body of the lens lightly, it's not staying locked. I'll have to check this topic once I'm back!

max

darkkavenger:

I am having exactly the same problem also, my black J-12m serial N9001658 would mount and mesh with the inner bayonet but would not lock tight. I was thinking maybe I need to file the latch to get it to snap flush when mounted.

darkkavenger said:
I'll keep an eye on this topic. My black J-12 (currently in Prague) was mounting correctly on my Kievs, but then after a day where it almost fell on on the ground and I managed to catch it in the air (yes, silly me!) it would still mount but would not lock tight (if I try to turn the body of the lens lightly, it's not staying locked. I'll have to check this topic once I'm back!

max

ok i'm back in Prague, the lens collar is moving even better than my silver J-12, and looks all similar. but no way to lock it.

If it's not locking, the locking tab must somehow not be dropping down into place. Get it into position and give it some wiggles. Look for it to be bent.

I am reviving this thread (from 13 years ago!) as it seems to have saved me from a lot of bad language. Getting my Jupiter 12 to work on my Kiev 4A has been causing me quite a bit of frustration - even when it seems to have mounted OK, when I focussed the lens, it wasn't always engaging with the rangefinder, so the lens turned but the viewfinder image stayed where it was. Sometimes it would spring into action half way round the focussing turn, and then stop again. Until I found this thread...

The answer for me is the method in post no 10 above. Set the lens mount so that the infinity mark is against the red dot on the camera body. Then set the lens to infinity, and mount the lens as normal, with the red dot on the lens lining up with the dot on the body. Then twist it so the red dot on the lens goes to the top.

Doing it this way, the rangefinder wheel rotates as soon as the lens is turned, and they stay in step.

Back