I got my Retina IIa

oscroft

Mentor
Local time
10:35 AM
My Retina IIa, bought from eBay UK for £32 (approx $63), arrived today, and it's a beauty. The shutter is really sweet - all speeds work and look about right, even the slow speeds down to 1sec, and it's really quiet. The lens has a few dust specs (which certainly won't have any effect), but is otherwise very clean. The rangefinder looks about right, the film counter works, the diaphragm and shutter blades are all clean and oil-free, the pressure plate is clean. (Are there any other things I should check before I load it with Delta 400 for a test shoot?).

I've attached a few pictures - hope you like it :)

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
  • R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • R3.jpg
    R3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
oscroft said:
I've attached a few pictures - hope you like it :)

It's a very good deal. IIa Heligon for $63.
Please post some pictures.
I just got my IIa Heligon too. I will get some roll for my next trip to Las Vegas this weekend. I also use 400 film. Hope it will work fine.

Lovely! One of my first rangefinders was a IIa and it's a little jewel. I've got the Xenon F2 lens, which is supposed to be comparable to the Heligon -- that is, very sharp. Enjoy it!

Just watch out for that sticky cocking rack. It happens to almost all IIa's eventually. Enjoy!

I've got the Xenon F2 lens, which is supposed to be comparable to the Heligon -- that is, very sharp
Yes, from what I've read, there isn't really anything to choose between the two lenses - both are considered superb.

Just watch out for that sticky cocking rack
The cocking rack, eh? I don't think I've ever had one of those before :) I've just done a bit of Google research and I can see what it is now. Fortunately the wind-on is really smooth, but I'll treat it with care and hopefully it will last a while - if it eventually needs a CLA and repair I really won't mind.

Btw, I forgot to mention, the IIa came with the original German instruction book (which I can't read, but it's quite cool to have) and a yellow filter. Anyway, I've got a busy day today but I'll be out with it tomorrow :)

I have a IIa too! They are beautiful cameras! Heavy for their size it seems so there must be some real metal inside. Mine has an every ready case for it and had a meter with it as well. The meter doesn't work right though, the cell is probably sick. The shoulder strap attached to the case broke and I need to see about getting it fixed or replaced. Mine has the Xenon lens and it seems to take good pictures. I don't own a scanner or I would post some pictures for you. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your new jewel with us.

Regards,
Tom

Mine has an every ready case for it and had a meter with it as well.
Oh yes, that's something else I forgot to mention - I got an erc in very nice condition too (no meter, but I already have a couple of those).

Back