I have a confession!

Sigh.

Sold my last Rolleiflex (a '51 MX, IIRC) to a buddy of mine in Japan a decade or so ago. He's still using it. Has a Bill Maxwell screen in it and works like a charm.

I'm more into 6x6 folders nowadays. I've become addicted to them ... A Voigtländer Perkeo II is on its way to me now, the Balda Baldix is in the shop to be tuned up ...

What a habit! '-)

Sigh.

Sold my last Rolleiflex (a '51 MX, IIRC) to a buddy of mine in Japan a decade or so ago. He's still using it. Has a Bill Maxwell screen in it and works like a charm.

I'm more into 6x6 folders nowadays. I've become addicted to them ... A Voigtländer Perkeo II is on its way to me now, the Balda Baldix is in the shop to be tuned up ...

What a habit! '-)

Folder are addictive :rolleyes:

I should have never stumbled onto this site... cause of my folder addiction..

http://arukucamera.net/folders.html
Gary

The negs are hanging to dry and I have to say they look OK ... nothing on the negative or the backing paper to tell me what the film was though so I gave it 13 minutes in 50:1 Rodinal and crossed my fingers. Aside from a blank first frame, which was probaly done when the film was loaded, the spacing appears perfect.

My camera choices seem to be becoming a little obscure of late ... I totally love the Widelux and I think the Rolleiflex will be very easy to fall for also. I had a Rolleiflex T which never really grabbed me and it currently resides in another part of Brisbane, though I do still own it. I didn't like the method of adjusting aperture or shutter speed and never even put a roll of film through it!

What a quality camera! The build and feel of the 2.8D is more like what I was expecting when I got the T which I never realised was a stripped down version of the real thing when I bought it.

Keith,
You definitely need a lens hood - the best is the original Rollei metal hood, but you can also find rubber ones that are cheaper. The best screen is Maxwell, and if you contact Bill Maxwell, he will advise you about the type to get depending on the style of your photography. You have to be VERY careful when you put it in, it is extremely prone to scratching. but the brightness difference is amazing.
The original Rollei crocodile strap is also expensive, but you can probably adapt something else. I would also recommend getting the Rolleifix for the tripod. They can be extracted from the Rolleigrip, which at times sell for less, so check this up. Finally, a Rolleigrip with the pentaprism can convert this camera to a fairly fast shooting rig, if necessary, and it is quite helpful in composing. An alternative would be to get this:
http://www.baierfoto.de/tlr_engl.html
and use either a Hasselblad or Kiev prism.

Here are some inspiring links to rollei shooters:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/sets/72157626448513328/show/

http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=rolleiflex&w=57449198@N00

http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=rolleiflex&w=27386920@N06

I've just spent an obscene amount refurbishing my late Grandfathers 3.5 Tessar Automat including a maxwell screen which totally transforms the Rollei. Money well spent. Now travelling the UK with a M6 ttl as backup! :D

Keith, Check out the Barton 1972 straps, they do a Rolleiflex type fit, and it's very nice indeed.

I had a 3.5E once, and although the results were beautiful, and the camera small and delightful to behold, I never quite got used to the TLR way. Also, I got gawped at whenever I used it. However, after Photokina, if I had $5000 to spend on a camera, then DHW Fototechnik would get my money.

Keith, Check out the Barton 1972 straps, they do a Rolleiflex type fit, and it's very nice indeed.

I had a 3.5E once, and although the results were beautiful, and the camera small and delightful to behold, I never quite got used to the TLR way. Also, I got gawped at whenever I used it. However, after Photokina, if I had $5000 to spend on a camera, then DHW Fototechnik would get my money.

Nice strap!!! :eek: Thanks for the heads up on that. :)

I don't normally like straps and prefer to just hand hold a camera but the Rollie is a bit different in this respect. It feels like it could slip from your grasp quite easily ... and it's no Nikon F!

Myself I picked up my grandfathers Ikoflex from service yesterday. Now it seems I can use all shutter speeds and the focus runs a bit smoother. Will go out this weekend and shoot it. Not the best of TLR's but it's the camera that is the reason I even started playing with home development. :)

damn you guys are so rich...

It's all about priorities Dennis. I spend little money on other things, clothes especially, and most of my food comes from Aldi! :D

As your addiction picks up pace you'll realise this. :p

I meant to mention I can't believe the difference between the Rollieflex and my old Hassy 500cm ... I like the waist level finder way of shooting but in comparison to the Rollieflex the Hassy is like firing a bazooka! :p

Rollei TLR is for me the ultimate MF camera. Most people say Planar is the best lens but personally I like the lowly Tessar more. However, knowing Keith's habit always shooting wide open maybe Planar or Xenotar is better for him.

I recently sent my Rollei Automat for service as well and received back a very fine camera! Perhaps I should have considered replacing the brightscreen as some here have, but it's still a joy to use :D Ultra quiet shutter speed, very little vibration and stable even in 1/10s

Very fine cameras, jealous of your 2.8f :)

I recently sent my Rollei Automat for service as well and received back a very fine camera! Perhaps I should have considered replacing the brightscreen as some here have, but it's still a joy to use :D Ultra quiet shutter speed, very little vibration and stable even in 1/10s

Very fine cameras, jealous of your 2.8f :)

As we say down under ... "She's bonzer mate!"

:D

Can't wait to see the pics!

I love my Rollei - it's become my main camera over the last couple of years. In fact, I just shot several rolls of Ektachrome that I need to get developed as soon as I can sneak away from work to drop them off!

Keith, it's not the prettiest but I like a padded optech strap for my rollei. Soft and comfy on the neck–really distributes the weight well. It's a big foam strap with some raised texturing on the bottom.

As for a hood, you can get a plastic aftermarket hood that's a knockoff of the metal rollei hood–it can be a good stopgap until you find a good deal on a proper hood.

Enjoy!

Sigh.

What a habit! '-)

Like others, I rather like the folders myself, for their combination of size and quality. If one is careful, there is no problem with the lens plane staying vertical, and some of the lenses on those things are really nice. But 6x6 just is not my stick. I also have a Rolleiflex with the Schneider Kreuznach lens. The focus rubs a little in a couple of places, but it takes nice photos. I used to like my Yashica MAT more, but it was the first one I had, and had a light meter. Oh well. Maybe some day it will fund something I like more, or go to my son-in-law.

A pic from the mystery film ... I'm still not sure what it was and David can't remember either. He thinks it may have been Ultrafine 100?

rollei270912004p-1.jpg

Keith, it's not the prettiest but I like a padded optech strap for my rollei. Soft and comfy on the neck–really distributes the weight well. It's a big foam strap with some raised texturing on the bottom.

As for a hood, you can get a plastic aftermarket hood that's a knockoff of the metal rollei hood–it can be a good stopgap until you find a good deal on a proper hood.

Enjoy!

A hood is a hood IMO ... I found a Chinese supplier on eBay who has bay lll hoods for $30.00 including post to OZ.

I love the camera but I'm not a purist ... yet! :D

Back