I just got my first show: now what?

Local time
8:55 PM
I applied to my town's arts partnership for a photo show, and it looks like they're giving me one, to be held in the summer or fall of 2009. I'm pretty excited, but I have a few basic questions, for people who exhibit often.

The show is going to consist of pictures with words in them. That's the only theme, so I have tons of room to experiment. This is the quickie Lightroom gallery page I posted to give the arts people an idea of what I would be doing:

link

A couple of those might possibly end up in the show, but I'll be taking hundreds more, and will just choose the best ones. I'm also going to get my friend, a poet, to write short poems, each one containing the words in each photo, and then display the poems with the pictures, and probably get a catalog printed up via Lulu or something with both the photos and texts.

So, questions. One, where should I have the prints made? I usually get prints for myself from Mpix, and like them, but I'd like these to be really special. They would be prints of either digital photos, or scans of film (those examples contain both). I like Mpix because the pics come back looking EXACTLY as they do in Lightroom on my monitor...but perhaps this isn't uncommon these days.

What size prints would be good for a show like this? I think there will be between 12 and 20 photos/poems.

How should I mount the poems? Plain old laser prints stuck to foamcore with spray adhesive, or something more interesting?

How about frames? When people go to a photo show and they wish to buy a print, are they paying for the actual framed print that's in the show? Which they will take home after the show's over? Or are they paying for a limited edition unframed print? If the latter, what's the system for doing this? Is there any standard, or are such things totally idiosyncratic?

What should I charge for prints? I'm new to showing art, and so don't expect to sell these at absurdly high prices. But I have also been warned by friends not to undercut myself by charging too little.

That's all I can think of at the moment--thanks in advance.

Last edited:
the little gallery: Just words and simple images, but somehow i like them!
Sorry, can't help you with advices on the details.

print size: 11 x 14. standard black frames.

There is a huge difference in who does your printing. You have some nice work. From what you posted, I would cull out two. congrts!

Last edited:
I will get back to you shortly when I can discern them more carefully -- my son is wanting his dad (me) to assist with some toys. Sorry.

Eighty percent of your pix are excellent. A couple distract from the more powerful ones. I will get back later this morning (Pacific time).

Great, thanks! I should add, though, I'm not really at the critique-the-images phase right now...I'm more concerned about the mechanics of showing art...I might well put up a more complete gallery closer to the opening, and ask people's opinions then, but for now I feel as though I've just begun shooting for the thing. I'm delighted you find the images largely compelling, though.

your color ones are great. Love them. In B&W, the "tool bin" and the "open" do nothing for me. I would drop these.

You are a strong color photographer. I would exploit this angle and only present your very best B&W. (80%/20% strategy).

I recently ordered a 12 X 18 B&W print from I took with a D300 from MPIX. I (was shocked that it looked exactly as it did in LR on my iMac. At other places the prints always come out too dark.

I wish MPIX offered watercolor paper for B&W. However, at least I have a vendor from whom I can confidently order prints.

By the way, the 12 X18 full frame print (which I prepared in LR) had lovely detail and tonality. I'm sure I could print it larger.

Some galleries prefer framed photos. Some prefer mounted photos with overmats. Some like a mix. You need to ask about their specific requirements.

This gallery is mostly a space--the artist does all the publicity and makes the aesthetic decisions. So the show is mine to #*&@ up. Your recommendations are definitely close to what I had in mind, though.

My 2cents, worth everything you paid for it.

Forget the poems, this is your show. Let people think what they want and interrupt your creations however they feel. If you add the poems they might turn people off who might love the work.

Often, the difference between a great photographer and a good one is what they show. Often we all get too close to shots and end us showing too much. Less is more, much more. Photography is one of the few arts where we have the ability not show everything that can allow people to think we have a better hit rate than we might. Cut, Cut, Cut, be ruthlessly picky and you will be asked back. I like your stuff and think you are on the right track.

Size depends upon how far back people will be looking at your work without bumping into other people. Run some tests in the space if you can to see what feels right. Too big and the prints will not feel right to be viewed up close. I think 11x14 is around the right size for most shows, but bigger can be fine in a larger space.

Number each one X of 25 saying that you will not print up more than 25 of them. To high a number and it seems silly. Do not show print number one, start at 2 or 3, making it seem that people have already purchased prints. Sign the bottoms and date them.

Check around to see who has 20% off coupons for Bed, Bath and Beyond, might save you a bundle. Stock up over time. I’ve not framed anything in years, but as you’re using standard sizes you should be ok.

Again, cut the good and keep the great. The ones that move people instantly and you will fine.

B2 (;->

Cut, cut, cut is the best advice. Ruthless is important. An image you really like but everyone else just shrugs at has to go.

Mounting images for sale is no longer standard, prints are sold as the image on a piece of paper. Standardize the frame type, but not the size of frames or images- consider the size of each image and print it accordingly. A variety of size can be helpful when it comes to hanging the work, making for a much more dynamic exhibit.

Most important? Have fun, and leave enough time to get everything together- it will take twice as long as you think- so set a deadline and stick to it.

This is great advice, thank you! Roger's portfolio page is full of excellent information...I'll try and absorb as much as possible.

The inclusion of the poet is mostly because, to be honest, I want to do something fun with my friend. He's not just some lame-ass scribbler, though--he is a masterful writer. Not sure if he's gonna do it or not. Anyway, the poems will be the only other thing in the room. There will be no artist's statement--I have never read a single one, ever, that improved my appreciation of the art, and most of them make me like it less. So it will remain spare, with the images holding their own from four feet away, and the poems only legible if you want to get up close and find another dimension.

What do you all think about Roger's claim that B&W and color rarely sit well together in a show? I respect 35mmdelux's opinion, but his two least favorite in the first batch are, in fact, my two favorites. That said, I've been shooting more in color, digital, lately and am really enjoying it.

Like I said though, I'll continue shooting and see what congeals. I would like to have lots and lots of images to choose from. And perhaps I'll keep it down to 10 or 12.

Don't underestimate the amount of time/effort/money required to present your work well. Good framing and matting (appropriate to the type of photos you do), hanging, sequencing, positioning images correctly in the space...all of these things are very important. If you get them right, your work will shine and you will feel great about it. If you don't, it's kind of like showing up for a job interview in a gym outfit.

I agree with both the "cut, cut, cut" sentiment and the idea of not mixing b/w and color. I'm in the midst of sorting stuff out for my first-ever one-person show in September. The big headache is matting/framing, since I'm doing al the printing myself, but on a shoestring budget, making it more of a high-wire act. This can be a good thing, as it forces one to concentrate on the essentials and blow off the fluff. think hard about what it is you want to communicate, then try and pare things down to where the message remains intact. This is the formula I'm sticking with 9or trying to, anyway...).

Congratulations, and keep us informed on this!

Barrett

Back