I just might be likin' my OMD over my M9........

kbg32

neo-romanticist
Local time
7:18 PM
“Looking On” – Watching the building of the Freedom Tower.

7428219326_d56cf40c85_o.jpg

7388548938_b66d2424c4_o.jpg

7182012347_5ac49f91cb_o.jpg

Fantastic IQ. Ultra fast AF. Metering right on. Light. Extremely compact.

I have been contemplating the same thing. Shoot mainly film and as such M9 has little recent use. Not even sure I will take my M9 on trip to Europe in August. OMD could be the answer.

"I just might be likin' my OMD over my M9"

I'll put you in touch with a friend of mine who is ex FBI and may be able to get you into the witness protection program! :eek:

In the meantime I suggest you don't leave the house without a convincing disguise! :angel:

(watching the forum for the corresponding ... "I may just like my X-1/X-100/Nex-bla-bla-bla more than my M9" :D )

Not bad for a camera system that was laughed at by the majority two years ago.

Yes, somebody finally upgraded the sensor technology and it's only a generation or so behind now.

You are joking right! Have you actually seen the raw files that the sensor you call a generation or so behind produces at 3200 or 6400. Considering it's lack of real estate (size) they are impressive to my eyes!

Hey, Keith, when I do a portfolio critique the first thing I ask is: was this work done with a sensor that reflects the current state-of-the-art? If the answer is no, I tell the photographer that the work is fecal and to get a good camera.

:p

You are joking right! Have you actually seen the raw files that the sensor you call a generation or so behind produces at 3200 or 6400. Considering it's lack of real estate (size) they are impressive to my eyes!

I'm not joking, DPREVIEW is:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/16

The raw comparison graphs show the OM-D E-M5's chroma signal-to-noise ratio performance is about the same as the Nikon D300S. The Pentax K-01's performance is much better. The OM-D grey noise comparison is similar.

On the other hand, the OM's dynamic range is similar to the Nikon D7000... which is quite good, but not state of the art.

I'm not joking, DPREVIEW is:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/16

The raw comparison graphs show the OM-D E-M5's chroma signal-to-noise ratio performance is about the same as the Nikon D300S. The Pentax K-01's performance is much better. The OM-D grey noise comparison is similar.

On the other hand, the OM's dynamic range is similar to the Nikon D7000... which is quite good, but not state of the art.

Dude! :rolleyes:

Wait, if the D7k sensor isn't SOTA, what is? I'm not aware of any less-than-full-frame sensor that's outpaced it in DR.

Looking at the DPR comparison (I don't know why!) seems to confirm my beliefs about the OM-D - it may exhibit more noise, but it's retaining more detail at those high ISOs. I'll make that trade any day - I can remove noise in LR4, I can't get detail back.

Back in the days of film, Leica's were a great alternative to SLRs given their stealthy superiority not to mention being the best in fast aperture peformance with their lenses. In the digital world, they are still among the best in stealthiness and ultra fast optics but newer generations of premium fast optics from Panasonic, Olympus, Zeiss and Schneider coupled with better low light imaging and IS from cameras like the EM-5 make it a serious contender for the M9 or even some top end digital SLRs. The biggest drawback I see of the m4/3 format is their greater dof if subject isolation is your thing but a fast aperture would probably take care of that anyway.

Back