i know that we are mostly a gear forum...

I am not embarrassed at all looking at my camera display cabinet. In fact, I'm quite proud of it.

I no longer buy a new camera because of the "potential" to take better pictures, rather because I want to try the handling/feature, or because it looks handsome/pretty. And I enjoy buying/selling cameras too, wish I do enough of it to make a living. Alas, I don't :)

If you would like to develop your visual style, try to edit and select your pictures and make a photo-book. I see more of us here on RFF do this and the results are quite good, some are even better than commercially published ones.

I'm never 'proud' just because I own a lot of gear. I don't keep gear on display either. It's an aesthetic choice ... I want to enjoy photo gear because it is good gear that does the job well, is aesthetically pleasing and functionally effective, not objects signifying my presumed status or wealth. I have, off and on over time, made my income with photography; I'm not doing that at the present time.

Otherwise, I buy gear for much the same reasons you suggest.

I also agree with you about publishing: nothing improves your work better than finishing work — be it an exhibition, a book or whatever — and letting it go to the world.

While I've licensed and sold many many photos over the years, the first photo book I published and offered for sale, Ways Together, was published at the end of July in 2012. A tremendous amount of work, a lot of fun in the process, and I learned a lot from doing it. It's available from my blurb.com page:

http://www.blurb.com/user/GDGPhoto

I've enjoyed some great comments and critique sent back about it over the past several months. I plan to do at least another couple of books next year, presuming I can find the time.

Keep on trying, keep on learning. :)

G

This is one of the things I cherish about here.

same here. i came from forums in the past that were heavily gear-centric and it became too much of a headache. people were shooting opinions off with not enough results to trust on. ask a question about film, and the responses were scant.

call me judgmental if you want, but if i'm going to take advice, i have to see some work that tells me that person even knows what they're talking about.

i'm glad to say that you guys at RFF have impressed me beyond my expectations. i'm grateful for the vast knowledge i have gained just scanning these threads from some rather talented photographers.

I looked at the preview.
I really like the clean layout and style of your book,
also the first page where all the thumbnails of the photos are arranged in a very cool way,
also your written thoughts (neat font choice),
also your photo for the Epilogue... smashing in its quiet way.

Thumbs up.

Thank you, Will! I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.
I've got to get started on the next book ... !

Godfrey

Back