i Love C-Sonnar 50/1.5

My first copy of the CV Nokton Classic 35 had terrible focus shift problems (bad enough to send it back for an exchange. thankfully the second copy, not so much), and the Sonnar doesn't even come close to that lens for focus shift problems. That said, I suspect my copy of the Sonnar is optimized for 1,5 and not 2,8- making any shift such a minor problem on my copy. I probably unconsciously compensate for it now.

We're all good here, just sharing that I've not noticed it with my lens.

No doubt.

When you find a good copy (with less pronounced shift) it is a dream to use.

Now, this is probably a stupid question and I think I already know the answer (at 99%): but could you please confirm, just for the sake of my certainty - that this lens is automatically rangefinder-paired 'out of the box' on a Leica M6?

Thanks for your time!

Yep. it is on mine.
About the focus shift. I see it this way. I could have gotten the Planar, but to compare the two you'd have to start at 2.0, at which the focus shift is not really big enough of an issue to adjust for it. On the sonnar, you get an extra stop (with a little shift at close focus), you don't have to use that stop, but it's there and the lens is STILL smaller.

Shift, schmift. I don't even notice it. The lens is perfect as is.

I bought it for professional use on my M3, it is not perfect and it is making it hard to concentrate, mine seems to be optimized for 2.8 which is a bummer because I should have just kept my ZM 50/2 then which was dead on all the time.

If Zeiss ever comes out with a non-focus shifting fast 50mm, I will be all over it.

I lke this lens so much, bought it to sell the Lux asph but 0.9 closest focus is annoying and may be the deal breaker..a big shame.

So you are able to hit focus in a pro-like snap of the wrist and fully concentrate on your subject at any aperture?....I guess I am confused...:confused:

Yes, I am. I have over forty years of practice at many focal lengths.

A good carpenter does not blame the tool.

Back