I need advise about traveling on airplanes with film.

I always put the film in Zip-Loc bags - no plastic containers. As is shoot 400 iso at the most and black/whaite at that - I haven't had a problem for decades. Some of the older machines did zap the carry-on badly though. Less problem with modern X-rays. I try to avoid multiple passes though (changing flights etc - always aim for direct flights, mainly because I hate waiting at airports!).

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142112

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142112

I love film.
I like digital.
Last long air trip was Toronto to Johannesburg.
Via London Heathrow.
Security at utmost.
Decided not to be pulled to side as lenses, bodies and film carefully inspected..
I went digital, one point and shoot, spare batteries.
I carried a few memory cards, each one enough for 1,000 images..
No delays.
Oh! my anti-perspiration container almost empty..
Almost enough for 2 uses, said 113ml.
Oh dear! It was tossed into bin..

The machines are shielded so TSA people are protected.

X ray damage is cumulative, ie one scan will not produce fog, but additional scans will. It is like exposing a frame 5 stops under. it will be blank. Do it 5 times, you get fog. Also areas of low exposure are already past threshold, so one scan will do some damage in that area.

Overall fog is difficult to see unless you have a comparison. Generally it lowers contrast. Claims it can not be seen have to be discounted.

Modern x ray in developed countries do less damage than what may be found in third world countries.

Baggage x ray is much stronger WILL damage the film if that luggage is selected, but every piece is not checked.

Kodak used to explain all this on their website. No idea if still there.

Buy film here, ship UPS or Fed Ex to your hotel. Have it marked no ray and pray they can read. Develop before return. Or buy there, process there.

Digital is much less hassle. Rent one.

This is not my experience. I have many thousands of frames that show no evidence of x-ray damage from hand-baggage scanners, do you have a single one that support your claims?

When I fly, I put my film (35mm cassettes only, no box or plastic can) into gallon size ziplock freezer bags, then put the ziplock bag into one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185375-REG/Domke_711_15B_Film_Guard_Bag_Large.html
Domke claims that their large size Film Guard bag will hold 35 rolls of 35mm film; in my experience, these bags will easily hold 45-50 rolls of film if you pack them as I do.

I pack my film as above, then put the Film Guards in my carry-on bag, letting them go through the x-ray scanner. The security folk see a big, black square and call me over, asking what it is. I tell them it is photographic film, and then they proceed to do a hand inspection. :D

This worked for me last September, not only in the U.S., but in Korea and Mongolia as well.

As much as film costs these days, $33 USD for one of these Domke Film Guard bags is incredibly economical insurance against having your film damaged by airport x-ray machines. If x-ray damage is hogwash as some claim, then $33 USD is cheap peace of mind for we photographic OCD types.

For wise-ass photographers who put their film in lead shielded bags, they will use the hated and feared "Double-Dawg Full Power Times Two Squared Just For Spite" setting, guaranteed to cause your unborn great grandchildren to be afflicted with radiation sickness. :D

When I fly, I put my film (35mm cassettes only, no box or plastic can) into gallon size ziplock freezer bags, then put the ziplock bag into one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185375-REG/Domke_711_15B_Film_Guard_Bag_Large.html
Domke claims that their large size Film Guard bag will hold 35 rolls of 35mm film; in my experience, these bags will easily hold 45-50 rolls of film if you pack them as I do.

Excately this bag ! I wonder why this is always coming up again.

Google "film shield bag" and you will be served :D.

Don't get those lead cases, the operator will just crank up the dose and you might be fried.

Here we go again... its not possible to "turn" the power up on these machines. They have a couple of different contrast views but no variable power levels that are operator controllable.

Here we go again... its not possible to "turn" the power up on these machines. They have a couple of different contrast views but no variable power levels that are operator controllable.

... your not seriously trying to tell us that the minimum rate machine operators don't have full control of the potentially dangerous ionising radiation and are prepared to endanger their health each time a photographer passes through

I for one would never use a film shield or anything that would be viewed as trying to make one's contents invisible to inspection machines and handlers. Anyway, based upon my experiences there's no need. Put your film in clear Ziploc bags, bring in carry-ons, and when it's your turn to put your bags on conveyor belt, ask for a hand inspection. The TSA has got this down to a science now -- and my experiences in NY, Chicago, and elsewhere is that they're friendly, professional, and quick. They will swab the film with detection strips and send you on your way.

... your not seriously trying to tell us that the minimum rate machine operators don't have full control of the potentially dangerous ionising radiation and are prepared to endanger their health each time a photographer passes through

...is that a little bit of sarcasm I detect :)

I just figure any x-ray ghosts would just add something interesting to my pictures. Then they'd be interesting!

ps, the subject keeps coming back because some people (like the OP) do not read every post here before creating a post of their own. Forum life, eh.

I just figure any x-ray ghosts would just add something interesting to my pictures. Then they'd be interesting!

ps, the subject keeps coming back because some people (like the OP) do not read every post here before creating a post of their own. Forum life, eh.

Sorry, I was unclear ... not the OP's question, but these claim of damage in hand-baggage scanners and suchlike

Just to revive this thread a bit,

I've just returned from a trip to Israel, and with countless flights and security checks, I think my film was x-rayed 15 times.

I'll get it developed this week or next and let you guys know if anythings up. It's only XP2 and Ektar so i'm guessing it'll be alright.

Back