I Reversed My Street Tactics And A Good Start.

Edward in Chicago said:
"One" is an object and used, well, objectively, conceptually as in "theory". Gosh, I sound like a pendant. Just trying to help.
Edward, we hang pendants; one would be more comfortable as a pedant. :D

Gumby said:
Flash is a double-edged sword. You can get a catchlgiht that way, but you might also get a very flat photo.

ABOUT THE USE OF FLASH BY ME

It is just a technical device I use when otherwise without flash there will be no picture.

Some of us have outlawed flash by aesthetical or prejudice considerations, each one with his own.

Of course in case you prefer no picture, it's your preference.

Flash at night is not only light, but also speed, in both directions.

We "available light photographers" are reluctant to use flash, but for the subject being photographed, once he/she/they identify your intention, flash is as common as a camera.

Cheers,
Ruben

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this long thread, there is one thing I'm still unclear about - Why Beniliam can't dispaly his photos anymore? Was there a problem of some kind?
I too really enjoy his photos and it's a shame if they can't be seen anymore.

I was in a bar yesterday which 'forbids' photography, although I sneak in under the radar.

A young woman alone asked me to take a photo, and the only decent place for me to stand was right behind the bar.

So a bit of "Photographer, I'm coming through" sort of talk me me into position.

She had a nice smile so I hope the photo is good.

sitemistic said:
Apparently the country where he lives frowns on it.

Hmmm, I wonder how they can even control that? I mean if they were posted on USA based website? For all they know he could have been a tourist that took pics there. How can they control such a thing? I'm sure there is a way to post them some place. And if it's still a problem - sounds like a good country for him to leave and never look back. It's a crime to limit such a talent!

Krosya said:
After reading this long thread, there is one thing I'm still unclear about - Why Beniliam can't dispaly his photos anymore? Was there a problem of some kind?
I too really enjoy his photos and it's a shame if they can't be seen anymore.

Beniliam mentioned something about unable to control copyright anymore. Maybe he wants to keep his work copyrighted and out of hands of others for profit intentions. It could also mean that from now on he needs to get written permission from everyone he takes a photo of in the streets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for "taking someone's soul", I encountered this problem with the Navajos in the American Southwest.

I spent several years walking the street of the New Orleans french Quarter until the morning hours. It was a multi-year photo project that I set out to prove to myself I was capable of doing. Usually, I would just "be there" until people got used to me. If someone staredat me, I would nod at her/him to see their reaction. A nod back meant to me that I could take photos. I was told later by a friend that it is dangerous to walk around late at night with a camera in some parts of the French Quarter. I stopped doing it.

Back