I went to a garage sale and I got home with...

Small local auction - Minolta SRT201 with standard lens and a Zeiss Ikon 6x4.5 folder with Tessar together for (I think) $15. Both work great and the bellows are still light tight after about 80 years and the shutter is fine (amazing).

In Belgium, we call that "brocante"... a mix between the british car-boot sale and the french vide-grenier... but the main purpose is the same : taking stuff from one attic to the other... creating wealth in the meanwhile (sort of national sport around here ;-) .

Very rare to find photographic stuffs in brocantes for me... I hate to wake up early on sunday mornings.

I hate passing a garage/yard sale because I just know that there's great camera gear there and the sellers have no idea what it's worth and just want it gone...

In France, 'brocante' is slightly more grand or pretentious than 'vide-grenier': it implies (often misleadingly)that there's some decent stuff there.

Cheers,

R.

My best is probably an Olympus RC, RD and SP for $3 each. The RD and SP both need a CLA though so this will be a quite expensive little 'best find'. I'm really excited about the RD as I'd been looking for one for months after finding a DC.

Fortunately I also picked up a dozen other cameras - including a dead Contax IIIa and a small herd for Canonet 17s - for $3 each as well. Hopefully selling those, I'll manage to break even in the end.

Canon EOS 1000N
Macro bellows for M42
Meopta Opemus 5 enlarger
Nikon enlarging lens

All for the gigantic sum of 3 euros end 50 cents...

Good find! I was looking for Leicas recently at the flea market. One girl had a very beautiful M4 hidden among other photographic stuff. She totaly did not know anything about cameras. Asking price was around 300 Euros but I would have preferred a chrome M4.

How much are the M4s going on eBay these days?

Ah, but there is one intermediate step: The "Free" pile after the yard sale. I once found a perfectly good Konica SLR kit. The body is a lowly FP-1 but I like the lens a lot (AR 50/1.8) and the bag was really nice, too.

Back