I wish I'd had a camera with me...

Such a common problem here.

One little problem I have: Someone always generously offers to take a photo of [me and wife, my dinner group including me, etc.] and I happen to have my Leica M(3-9). It is extremely rare to encounter someone who has any inkling how to use my camera. I stopped trying to explain the rangefinder at all, but they always complain about the weird area in the viewfinder. They invariably change the focus. They often try to tap the screen on the back (when its the M9) to take the photo instead of using that archaic button on top. ......but its not nice to decline the generous offer. So, I point out the shutter button and ask them not to move the lens, and don't worry about the blurry spot in the viewfinder. Occasionally I get a sharp image.

I'd seriously consider a tiny digital compact with decent lens to keep on hand for such situations. I have yet to get one. Back during the film era, I often had a small auto P+S that fit the need. Often the Olympus XA. I'd set focus (scale) and hand it over.

Once I was in a Restaurant (a good one because of my birthday to celebrate) I had with me my Rollei 35 (it was because a thread here about that camera!). The waiter saw the camera and said "Beautiful camera, may I take a photo of you both?" of course I agreed and set properlyy the camera, F3,5 (wide open) , 1/30 of second and appropriate distance in order to be sure of focusing. But ...he didn't like they framing at the distance I had set, went two meter away and took the photo, which of course was out of focus!
But we kept it as special memory of the moment...things happen, don't worry, be happy :)

robert

A camera phone wouldn't create a hash like that ... I suggest crushing the thing! :D

Who else thinks it's a lousy idea to carry a second-string camera just to save a few ounces?

I think it is a lousy idea; however, based on the specifications, the 8MP Leica Minox DC-8111 does not look like a second-string camera.

I do not understand why it did not produce a better image than what you posted. I have used a 2MP point & shoot that took better images.

Have you had time to figure out exactly what went wrong?

I wish I'd been carrying a camera with me pretty much whenever I am not carrying a camera. "Which" camera is not so relevant, I don't own any "bad" cameras. But some are faster and easier to use than others. If I am out to do what I think of as an assignment, my D700 is my usual choice. If I am out shooting for pleasure, I love to carry my MP, or another film camera. If I am just going out the door, I grab the X100t, which sits on a table by the door. If I'm out cycling, I make do with my phone.

If your "first string" camera is inconvenient to carry it will stay home.
A camera left at home simply cannot get the shot when you're out.

There are plenty of good truly pocketable cameras.
Look here: http://www.subclub.org/

Chris

This is very much my feeling. Auto-anything is likely to screw up more often than the approach you describe -- and using the cameras I already own is a lot cheaper too.

If this was the case, more iPhone photos would look like the one in the post. ;). True about cost though.

iPhone face detection would have nailed it every single time. Then again this seems like some rant about auto-everything cameras or some other point poorly made.

I hate the handling when shooting with smartphones, so I solved the problem with a Contax T3 bought last year, the camera is always with me as it fits even the smallest shirt or jeans pocket, most of the times its ready to shoot in my hand.

Yogi

I do it all the time; almost every day. But my Rollei is just too big and difficult. I use a 35RC or a small SLR. Best yet is when I have my Bessa R loaded.

Seems like two separate "issues" here, Roger.
1) is carrying a good camera--that would be, a camera you know and can rely on.
2) the skill, or not, of the random person you hand that camera to. Or, perhaps, the ability of that person to take direction: in similar situations, I will ask the person to stay where they are, then focus on them and set exposure, and then I move to them, hand the camera off and return to where I was.

iPhone face detection would have nailed it every single time. Then again this seems like some rant about auto-everything cameras or some other point poorly made.
No, it's a "rant" against those who think that the solution is always to buy their way out of problems -- with an iPhone or a Ricoh or whatever -- instead of making sensible use of what they already have.

It's also a somewhat self-deprecating "rant" against myself for being so stupid as to use that camera for something important: not life-or-death important, or Pulitzer Prize important, but important enough that that I'd have liked a nice, sharp happy-snap.

And it's about something that has happened to many people; something that will make them smile ruefully, and (with any luck) something that will make others think before the make the same stupid mistake.

Cheers,

R.

In response to the suggestion of a Ricoh GR:

Why?

At the end of the piece I say that I can't see much point in spending more money on a camera which certainly won't deliver better results than the proper cameras I already own.

Cheers,

R.

You might be surprised by the Ricoh GR. Besides, you spent nothing on that little Minox and you got nothing in return.

What's that quote about the poor craftsman who blames his tools? (Just kiddin'.) :D

Back