I would love it if...

Mark Norton said:
Well, look at the Panasonic L1 which allows you to choose between "viewfinder" mode and "preview" mode. If you're in viewfinder mode, it's dim because the image goes off a hlef silvered mirror. If you're in preview mode, it has to switch to viewfinder mode to do autofocus and then back, which can take 5 seconds. Hugely compromised IMHO.

According to the pre-pro on dpreview, the Oly E300 (same sensor, shutter and mirror box and lens mount) doesn't suffer from that problem. I wonder if there will be a Leica-badged version of this camera, or if Leica is afraid it might hurt sales of the M8 and DMR+R9.

I think it's more there's no autofocus at all on the Olympus version when in preview mode. If the autofocus sensor can't see anything, it's not going to be able to focus.

I don't think for one minute that this camera is going to harm either the R9/DMR or the M8. The complete camera is half the price of a DMR alone or an M8 body and $2000 buys you a single 35mm Summicron-M ASPH.

Ben Z said:
Actually, if Leica would've made an interlock switch and perhaps a "dark slide" a la Mamiya 6/7 they could have used an electronic "shutter", virtually silent, and made the option of real-time viewing on the LCD. But perhaps they had a stash of paid-for R8/9 shutters they had to use up :D
If they are using the Kodak KAF FFT sensor then live view is not an option. The extra gear they would need to run live view might cause body bloat, too.... :(

Mark Norton said:
I think it's more there's no autofocus at all on the Olympus version when in preview mode. If the autofocus sensor can't see anything, it's not going to be able to focus.
Af could be done by contrast detection off of the sensor, very accurate, but also slower than phase detection.

Can someone explain the mechanics/physics of why live view with an LCD is not possible on the M8? I'm curious, as I was thinking that a fold-out LCD, like on consumer cams, might have a useful application in classic street-style rangefinder photography. If it were possible, then focussing via the screen would also be possible, no?

This has been posted so many times - according to Leitz the M8 will be based upon the M7 in terms of size and design.

Ted, the sensor has to "see" the scene in order to display it on the LCD. Like a dSLR, the M8 and Epson R-D1 use a shutter to expose the sensor. So the sensor only can display the shot that's been taken. Review, not preview, in other words. Digicams simply capture one moment among many from the "live" view imaged on the sensor.

ywenz said:
They should introduce a SLR mode for the M8... Voila! best of both words..
What is wrong with my Visoflex III? Maybe they should reintroduce that, with a R-mount...

Back