I'd Leica Refund: A Week Long Tale of my Leica MP

Stick with Nikon? :D

But sorry to hear about the MP Nate. Most consider this to be the ultimate Leica to buy, given it's sexy marketing. And this film counter problem has been reported across the web so it's not really a new issue. After Leica resolves the issue, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. If not, I do remember seeing a black paint M3 sold here a few years ago that was modified with the modern take up spool as well as 6 framelines. I believe DAG did it modifications. Something to consider?

Cheers,
Benny, My biggest complaint about the Leica is the 6 frame lines. Who needs that? For me the 35/50/90 lines of the M2 are as close to perfect as you can get. I also love the old film take-up spool.

Benny, My biggest complaint about the Leica is the 6 frame lines. Who needs that? For me the 35/50/90 lines of the M2 are as close to perfect as you can get. I also love the old film take-up spool.

In this case, have DAG mask out the unwanted frameline and you'll have an MP finder with 3 single framelines in a M3!!! Albeit in a 0.72 magnification instead of the original 0.91. But I'm sure you can live with that in exchange for greater reliability. :D

Cheers,

There are some really interesting analogies here. I feel typical of most having owned Japanese motorcycles (Kawasaki), cars and Nikons with no issues. Could it be that the Leica needs a bit more TLC than the typical Japanese slr, but unfortunately we tend not to know the history of used equipment do we. Who knows what it's been through in it's life?

Thinking about getting back into biking but looking at a BMW R1200 as all the Jap bikes look the same (hmmmm somebody said that to me in the 80's), the BM seems to have some character and could that be said of Leica's too?

Steve.

it happens, things go wrong...

it happens, things go wrong...

I feel your frustration too, but the reality with forums is that we (mostly) post when **** happens, and this can sometimes throw issues out of proportion. I love motorcycles, I could have bought a Honda, instead I have had a Ducati 916 for 10 years, it's a beautiful and exotic machine with 'soul' and has given me years of pleasure (and some problems too), but if I had taken notice of the forum posts I'd never have bought one. Oh, my old vintage Rolex 'Submariner' has just lost it's bezel today, so I'll send it for service tomorrow, I could have worn a Casio which would have done just as good a job, for a fraction of the Rolex CLA. Maybe I should lead a cheap 'Casio' throwaway lifestyle, but hey! My old and battered black painted Nikon F I bought 30 years ago as a student - it was old and knackered then, and my friends laughed and called it a dinosaur. But it has been all over Europe with me on my motorcycle, as far as Greece at least twice, even soaked in sea water. That incredible Nikon F has never, ever, gone wrong, never had a CLA, and has been the most reliable mechanical object I've ever owned: when I recently had the shutter speeds check, it was still in acceptable tolerance... so, why over the years have I accumulated an M2, M4-2, MP and M8? Maybe I've got things about face, BUT, and this is the kicker, as there is something about riding an old Duc 916 compared with a.n. other motorcycle, the feeling of taking pictures with a Leica is something that I don't get with any other camera... look, I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but this makes it worth it, for me at least...

Last edited:
Nate,
Sorry to hear this sad news; just want to assure you, your former M6 works great and I'm enjoying it, taking it to New Orleans this weekend!

Nate,
Sorry to hear this sad news; just want to assure you, your former M6 works great and I'm enjoying it, taking it to New Orleans this weekend!

Yeah I put more than $2000 into that M6 making it perfect, so I'd expect it to keep working for many years to come. About the only upgrade left for that camera would be the MP finder light condenser. I'm glad to hear that it's making you very happy!

is quality and reliability the same thing? It should be, ideally, but rarely attained. A Kalashnikov is as reliable as hell, but is crude, not very accurate nor very pleasant to shoot.

Sorry about your MP, Nate.

I am convinced that your M2s, once back from Sherry, will work flawlessly for many years to come. I have an M3 CLA'ed by her, that works flawlessly, and I'm not too easy on my equipment.

Roland.

is quality and reliability the same thing? It should be, ideally, but rarely attained. A Kalashnikov is as reliable as hell, but is crude, not very accurate nor very pleasant to shoot.

Depend on which 'end of it your on'
From experience !

I would not consider a Kalashnikov reliable whatsoever even though it may always send a round down-range every time the trigger is pulled. Accuracy is a major component of reliability in any consideration of a firearm.

Like owning a camera with varying shutter speeds, it may go click every time you trip the shutter, but you cannot rely on it to provide a properly exposed negative every time.

I also like the clean finder of the M5, but I am thinking seriously about acquiring a Summilux 75 and I do not want to use an external finder. So I am considering a frame-line upgrade when my M5 goes to for a CLA soon.

I came close to buying a M5 as a second body for exclusive use with my 75 Lux. It was a clean one that had been overhauled, extensively upgraded (MP finder, battery) by Sherry, and was reasonably priced considerand the huge repair/upgrade bill.

I figured out the 50mm frames were a good referance and it was a matter of indenting the width and length of the RF patch respectfully to the 50mm frames to obtain the 75mm frames. It was a bit of a gamble, but I thought I could get by, and over time it could become second nature.

I still think about that M5. Even if it didn't work out with my 75 Lux, it would still be a great camera to own.

Cal

Back