I'd rather be behind the camera?

John Bragg

Well-known
Local time
9:40 AM
So, as a photographer of people, do you mind being the subject ? Personally I am not over enthused about it but I seldom refuse. How do you feel ?

I was asked maybe couple of times to be as included subject. For some local papers. Never been asked on the streets. I look like regular hipster, nothing extra ordinary.
I see how some shy dudes are playing with their cameras at me from great distance. I think, I'm just making their landscapes alive.
On parties I'm the only one with camera. I'm glad if someone offers of taking pictures of me included in the wilderness.

At 20 years old or earlier, sometimes I allowed myself to be in photos. In this photo, I asked my father to make a photo of me with our cat (the true subject of the photo).

But many people in school and on the street told me how ugly I was and girls mocked my appearance, so I actually didn’t want to see myself in photos or in the mirror.

Although this photo was made in 1973, at that time I just developed the negative - no prints. In fact, I saw this photo for the first time last week only because I’m now scanning my old negatives.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2FEA54AB-ED88-4BE7-A672-159FA18ED5A1.jpg
    2FEA54AB-ED88-4BE7-A672-159FA18ED5A1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
But many people in school and on the street told me how ugly I was and girls mocked my appearance, so I actually didn’t want to see myself in photos or in the mirror.

Youth is cruel. And stupid.
That's a nice photo of a handsome young man.

I don't care whether others make photos of me. If they want me to pose, I have problems because I'm not very good at posing. I don't always like the photos made of me, but what does that matter? I am what I am, I look like what I look like... I don't seek to have my photo taken very often, but I don't care one way or another if I'm in someone's photos.

G

I don’t get weirded-out by it and honestly I don’t mind it at all. Sometimes I actually like the results.

One of my favourite pictures of my wife and I, taken a few years ago by a friend of ours with my phone.

Riley and Loopie
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I shot tons of candids, some with slight of hand, others, well posed.
I shot headshots for agencies and movie companies.. heads on sticks.
Beauty a very fragile thing! Some of the most "beautiful people" were horrid.
Now I am old dude and carrying ancient cameras, I am a Target!
But I get my shots in return. Oh! I am a ham in photos..
Wanna make new and old friends carry a Rolleiflex!..:D

I shot tons of candids, some with slight of hand, others, well posed.
I shot headshots for agencies and movie companies.. heads on sticks.
Beauty a very fragile thing! Some of the most "beautiful people" were horrid.
Now I am old dude and carrying ancient cameras, I am a Target!
But I get my shots in return. Oh! I am a ham in photos..
Wanna make new and old friends carry a Rolleiflex!..:D

Yes. Same with a Minox B. Or a Polaroid SX-70. Or a Hasselblad 500CM ...

:D

G

I might give some pretense of reluctance but even though I mostly look awful and my eyes aren’t quite straight and I have much less hair than I see in the mirror, I really don’t mind. While my wife is never happy with my pictures of her, the ones she takes of me, often with the cat, I like. There would be almost no photograph of me at all except for work or other document purposes if it weren’t for camera phones, especially the iPhone.

Back