if the price was right, would you get a 35mm cron v1 if it had goggles?

if the price was right, would you get a 35mm cron v1 if it had goggles?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 67 69.8%
  • No way! You are limiting yourself; Goggled lenses are never as fun on non-m3s!

Votes: 29 30.2%

• Total voters
If the price was right--I'd definitely do it. Of course, if you're not using an M3, the goggle-less version would be more convenient in many ways. However, the goggles aren't *that* irritating--I've got a goggled 2.8 Summaron myself, and I use it on both my M3 and M6 Classic with no problems.

As Ferider mentioned previously, the big advantage to the goggled version is that you can focus closer than with other versions of the lens. That in itself often balances the minor inconveniences associated with the goggles. And, as Retnull pointed out, the goggles do look "bad ass," in a cool, retro way. If you've already got an M3, then a goggled Summicron makes sense, really, *especially* if it can be had at an attractive price.

I don't want to say anything bad about the lens. The issue is that when the M3 came out it had no 35mm framelines and the goggles were the only solution. Since then other cameras have come out with 35mm lenses that do not need goggles. Combine that with the M series being small why would you want to unnecessarily make the camera larger by today's standards. I knew an individual who in the last few months purchased an M3 but then wanted a 35mm lens. He ended up trading the M3 for an M2. As great as the M3 is not having a 35mm frameline was a major drawback. I think you can see where I am going with this question. If the 35mm lens is important to you it might be best to change cameras or add another. I know people use goggled lenses...I am just giving my opinion.

Kosta, I came to this thread utterly convinced it was not worth it. But after reading through I've changed my mind. I'll happily spend an afternoon with your DR Summicron and goggles for some specific tasks so why not the goggled 35. And if you wear glasses.... For street shooting I'd still go with my number one criterion: size. So it depends on what you want the 35 for. If you're sticking with the M3 then it certainly looks the go. I imagine it wouldn't work on the Zeiss Ikon.

I see someone has posted a shot with the lens on an M9. How is it that Summicron DR with goggles don't fit M6TTL and newer bodies while the goggled 35mm Summicron does?

The DR can damage the internals of the newer bodies because of the way the focusing ramps are setup for the Duel Range function.

The goggled 35mm Summicron has no such issues.

I specially re-sought to buy one again!
I got the Summaron this time.
Previous one stolen in an attack on my vehicle.
Sunny South Africa..:-(
The goggles work on ALL M's.
I preferred the Summaron to a Cosina, same price, at time..
My Goggles have same fault as the stolen one..
The RF spot not 100%.
Love the "look".
Makes one think of Snoopy off to fight the Red Baron.

The DR can damage the internals of the newer bodies because of the way the focusing ramps are setup for the Duel Range function.

The goggled 35mm Summicron has no such issues.

The dual range 50 should not be used with digital M's, as it will only focus in the close range. In the standard range, the focusing cam interferes with some parts behind the lens mount. It's OK on all film M's, but you need to remove the little stabilizing peg that juts out of the back of the goggles to enable their use on the M5, M6TTL and M7, as they are taller than the previous models. I don't know about the MP's and various specials, but I expect it would need to be taken off for them as well.

The goggled 35 can be used on all models, but as mentioned above, it will not focus correctly if the goggles are removed.

Cheers,
Dez

Unless you have a Zeiss biogen f2?

I actually have both and without question prefer the Biogon. I've owned two Biogons and 2 v1 summicrons without goggles. While I like the size of the Summicron and construction I just don't feel it lives up to the reputation and cost. I purchased my first one in a package deal I found in an antique store 20 years ago before the cult following came along. I probably had $100 in a near new one. This one came from a friend that's 88 and bought it new for his commercial work. He didn't treat it very well and I was not sure if it could be salvaged. I bought it for nearly nothing, cleaned it up and had the focusing helix worked on. The glass is good but not perfect and the helix is working now. Originally it was totally locked up with the heaviest haze I've ever seen. I have only a few hundred in it and have a very usable lens but I'd never pay anything close to the going rate.

Never used the goggled version or even seen one in person.

A long dead old thread revived by Richard G. Thanks mate! I was getting pms from people selling their 35mm lenses haha!

I voted no, but not as strongly worded as your option.
My reservation would be the size when its not on the camera (as in, when I change to another lens), so I'd pay a bit extra for a non goggled one.

A long dead old thread revived by Richard G. Thanks mate! I was getting pms from people selling their 35mm lenses haha!

What did you end up doing?

Cheers,
Michael

Well i got the M2 version also because I sold my M3, but that was 2012... Haha
You can see a few shots on my flickr from it but i haven't published for some time now. Shot a lot of stuff in 2012 with it in Japan.

Hi everyone, seems like every now and then some of us want to talk about this lens. Allow me to share some of my conclusions in my Leitz 35/2 Summicron RF.

Pros:
* crisp and evenly sharp images at all apertures
* flare is well controlled
* best for black and white but contrasty for colour too
* the best construction quality - its Leica.
* it can look very serious on your M3, add a square hood to it even more
* very little distortion
* put this on your m2 or any other Leica rangefinder and eyeglass wearers like me
will find life easier to see framelines

cons:
* googles add some flare to viewfinder on camera
* can seem more bulky
* lower contrast at f2 (but can be corrected in software adjustments - easy)

Guys, there are more pros than cons. I hesitated when I bought it since already had a Summaron - but now I cannot part with it. Enjoy shooting with it! My 2 cents.

Leica M3, Leica Summicron 35/2 Version 1 (1965), Tri-X, Green Filter
14960101820_eaabbc4324_b.jpg

15482674023_f8bf34fa43_b.jpg

15944510475_f3a56c8f54_b.jpg

Ektar 100
15415243013_813284e16a_b.jpg

Back