If you had a CL but wanted the M6, would you?

River Dog

Always looking
Local time
8:04 PM
I really like my CL with Zeiss 50m ZM planar. It was a compromise as I did not have the funds for a M6, which I had promised myself. Now I have found some extra money from some healthy eBay sales. So, would you sell your CL to buy a M6 or am I just being greedy? I hate that gear feeling that gnaws!

Good excuse for another CL shot :)

5426530568_b9a6c63ac2_b.jpg

It has nothing to do with greed, but keep in mind that a camera is just a fancy light-tight box for holding film.
It's what you hang off the front of it that's important.
That and what's between your ears, of course. Everything else is just commentary.
So if the lenses you use on the CL will fit on an M6, what have you gained except more space in your wallet? Leica bragging rights?
Doesn't seem worth the expense to me.
Oh. And nice shot by the way.

My first Leca was a CL; later bought an M4, then an M3. But my last Leica is still that CL. Just seems to take good photos, even if it doesn't look as cool and bomb-proof as an M.

An M6 might not make better pictures but they do feel very satisfying in the hand. I think the CL feels cheap after using an M, in the same way a Nikon FM is a good camera but feels weak in comparison.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with greed, but keep in mind that a camera is just a fancy light-tight box for holding film.
It's what you hang off the front of it that's important.
That and what's between your ears, of course. Everything else is just commentary.
So if the lenses you use on the CL will fit on an M6, what have you gained except more space in your wallet? Leica bragging rights?
Doesn't seem worth the expense to me.
Oh. And nice shot by the way.
Except that how the body fits one's hands, eyes, and brain, also has a direct effect on the results one gets. Whether or not the effect is sizeable enough to drive a change, only the person involved can say.

I had a CL, sold it to buy an M6. I do not regret it, mostly because the m6 is a bit more accurate with a 90mm lens. But the CL was such a lovely small camera..

I really hate the CL! ;)
I've got one with a working meter and a Summicron 40 and this thing (my only rangefinder) killed all my previous dreams about an M.

Given your premise--the CL was a compromise--and that you wanted an M6 and that you now can get one...yes get the M6.
I am NOT making any judgment about which camera is "better", I just figure one should have the gear one wants if possible.
Rob

I was in a similar position 2 years back. I was torn at first, but made up my mind after a gentle bump caused a dent on the top plate of my CL. Since then, I've used my M6 and never looked back :) That said, everyone's reasons and experiences are different, and at the end of the day, only you know how much you want that M6!

The M6 is a completely different experience; the only real resemblance is the lens mount.

That said, I like both cameras a lot and only prefer the M6 now because of some arthritis in my right hand that makes the CL a bit awkward to use.

If you don't have to get rid of the CL to get the M6, then I'd say go ahead.

Funny thing, the CL is surrounded with so much mis-information that it is difficult to sell.

You get crazy questions from potential buyers, and the camera is terribly under value right now for some reason.​

Zeiss 50 ZM planar ? Leica M6 all the way ! :) Focusing with an M6 is easier and more accurate than with a CL. ;)

I recently went from a hasselblad to a cl and im loving it. I have taken more pictures in the last month with my cl then a year and a half with the blad.
If your an amazing photographer and your learning process has plattoed i could see the need for a 'better camera', but if your still learning, the best camera is the one that lets you shoot most often.

Back