• Other (precise below)

Votes: 64 5.5%

• Total voters

anorphirith

Established
Local time
12:01 PM
Hello, I bought an M6 recently with a CV 35 1.2
now I'd like to try out a leica lens but they are so expensive that I can only afford one

If you were to have only one Leica lens which one would you choose/keep?

Anything with a cool rectangular hood!

Seriously, if I could buy any recent Leica lens, it would be the Summilux 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH. Are you looking at buying a new lens?

Anything with a cool rectangular hood!

Seriously, if I could buy any recent Leica lens, it would be the Summilux 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH. Are you looking at buying a new lens?
I will start saving and probably buy a used one that's still in the leica catalog, not a 30 years old one
I really like the rectangular hoods too they look so good

...I really like the rectangular hoods too they look so good

That's the most bizarre thing I have read in a long long time.

Only one lens:

1961 51.9mm f/2.0 Dual Range Summicron.

Wait, that's my lens. If all the others had to go, I would keep the D.R. Summicron.

Really depends on you personal priorities.
For me, it would probably be 50mm Lux ASPH, however I noticed the vast majority of my people-related stuff gets done on events, indoors, i.e. were dim lighting is something of major consideration.

On the other hand, for outside in a regular lighting, I like general street stuff in 35mm, so that would I define myself mosr as a street shooted, I'd probably go with 35mm Cron ASPH

BTW, rect. hood is something I really adore on my 35mm cron ASPH..

Last edited:
If price is the barrier then get a 40/2 Summicron, the best value ever. Does everything a 35/2 does only for 1/3 the cost.

But yeah, the rectangular hoods brought me into the fold too. Shame they are fairly recent and attach only to expensive lenses. For an expensive lens I would just go for the best, the 35 LUX ASPH. It really is so sharp and resolves so much, while still looking harmonious and not harsh, that it is different than other lenses you'll ever have.

Last edited:
35/1.4 Nokton SC. Try it. Not expensive, either.

Ohh, you said Leica lens ? That would be the 75/1.4. But, it's not on your list.

Last edited:
Not sure why you've given the 35mm choices as you already have one of the best on the market.

I went for the 50/2 Summicron as it's the best compromise of brilliant performance, modest size, not unfeasible price. It's capable of being the only lens you'll ever need - providing the 50mm view is your thing - and is usefully smaller than your current lens.

However, as you already have the 35/1.2 then a more complementary focal length may be a 90/2.8 - get the thin tele-elmar.

.....Ohh, you said Leica lens ? That would be the 75/1.4.......

Roland's 75/1,4 selection might be the most interesting lens I have used. But I find its size to be a factor in when I choose to use it; yet it is THE PORTRAIT lens par excellence. Because it is a bit of a specialized lens, I will assume you'd prefer normal 35 or 50mm options. Though you did have some specialized lenses in your list, no? :)

But if i could only afford one it would be between the summilux 35/1.4 or the summilux 50/1,4 -- both are superb all-round lenses. And I like both focal lengths a lot, though perhaps the 50 is my favourite. If these were not within my budget, there's no question I'd go with vencha: the summicron DR 50/2. A very versatile lens indeed. The rigid version is excellent too.

Last edited:
No question for me: 50/2 Summicron. Collapsible, preferably or else a V1 rigid.

William

21mm f1.4, because it's nuts, I can get really close and really wide when their is no light. Also for shows and such, i can keep a decent shutter speed and DOF isn't as much of an issue as with a 50 f1.4 for instance.

I'd go with a CV 50/1.1. I know, it's not from Solms. How about a Nikkor 85/2 Black? It's not from Sloms either. While I've owned a number, I've never really thought the current price of new glass is in line with the world.

Another alternative with your M6 is a ZI 25/2.8 and use the full frame. Love the focal length and it's a great fit with your 35.

B2 (;->

Back